Monday, April 7, 2014

   Started raining last night and rained all through the night and on through this morning. It did finally stop around mid afternoon, but by then it was so muddy and foggy outside that you really didn't want to venture out too much into it. So we didn't! Rima was still sick with a cold today and is just now starting to sound like she might be on the mend. I am now hoping that whatever she had will bypass me, as I really hate being sick.    I spent much of the day reading and goofing off on the computer. We started putting the 4 bird houses I had cut out yesterday together this afternoon. Using old, weather beaten wood is kind of a challenge as nothing lays flat or has a solid edge anymore. We used some good polyurethane glue, ;Gorilla Glue', though and then clamped them together and added a bunch of stainless steel screws to each one. They aren't real works of art, but I think they will do what they are intended for just fine. So far we have one done and the other three in various stages of being built, as the only clamps I have are a pair of 5' long, deep throated pipe clamps I bought last week. They aren't the handiest things to use, but they do actually work. Rima seems to be getting a kick out of helping, she's quick with the clamps and glue bottle, but really likes running my big hurky screw gun the best. Ah.... girls and power tools.
    Hoping for some sun and warm temperatures again tomorrow. I'd like to get a bunch of trees and brush cleared out around the barn yet. That should be interesting to see if I can get them all down without smashing to much of the surrounding wooden fence. Sometime this week I also need to run into town and get a hair cut and the truck serviced. I'm thinking Wednesday on that though. Nothing else happening tonight, so I think I'll just go read a little while before going to bed. One nice thing about being stuck inside all day is that I did download some photos off of my camera. Found all kinds of pictures I had forgotten all about. The first batch of them are posted below and are of a day trip I took out to Fort Pulaski and Cockspur Island when I was camped out near Savannah, Georgia. Enjoy.

Cockspur Island Lighthouse near Savannah, Georgia 
Feb 28, 2014
   
Cockspur Island Lighthouse is located on the eastern tip of the island it is named after. Just inland from the ocean on the Savannah River, it marked where the river channel split to go around each side of the island. Now days only the north channel is used, so the lighthouse is no longer in use and was given to the National Park Service in 1958 by the U.S. Coast Guard.

This picture really shows why a lighthouse was needed at this point. I can well imagine that many old ships ran aground on these shoals before the light was built in 1848. 

Behind the lighthouse you can see the northern tip of Tybee Island. Just to the left of the picture is the open ocean and the main shipping channel up the Savannah River.

It's a little more than a mile hike out to the lighthouse from Fort Pulaski and the trail peters out right at the end. In calmer weather, and warmer, it would be nice to wade out to it and take a look inside. Not on the day I was there though.

The rest are just additional views of the lighthouse that I liked. 

 

 

 

A last look showing some of the rocks that surround the lighthouse. I'm not sure where the actual lighthouse keepers house was, but I doubt it was built there near the lighthouse. 








*

No comments:

Post a Comment