Wednesday, April 9, 2014

   Still kind of achy from working hard all of yesterday afternoon. It was nobodies fault but my own, as I was the one who decided to go out and cut down a whole bunch of trees. No doubt it needed to be done, and it isn't finished even today, but it was more than enough to make me good and sore just doing what I did yesterday.
    So there are about ten 30'-40' tall trees out in a small area right around Rima's barn, one of which was growing right up through an old wooden gate that is in the fence around that part. That one was so thick that Rima didn't even realize there was an actual gate there any more. So I broke out the chainsaw and went to work. The hard part is that there is a wooden fence around the whole area and some of the trees were a foot or less from it, and nearly all of them were to tall to just drop inside with out landing on it. So the first one I notched about 3 feet up and neatly dropped it so that it actually hinged right over the fence as pretty as you could do it. Once most of the branches were limbed off, and the main trunk cut in pieces, I could then cut the rest of the hinge loose and hoist the rest of it right over the fence with no problem. The second one was suppose to work the same way, but I cut the hinge cut too deep and instead of falling slowly and staying connected at the cut like the first one, I watched in disbelieve as the whole trunk severed and started falling towards the fence. And then a funny thing happened, instead of smashing the fence to smithereens, it feel completely over it and didn't touch it at all. Whew!
   There were a couple more trees I cut, but there were already so many on the ground that I knew I would never get them all cleaned up before dark. So I ditched the saw and took to clearing out all the lopped off limbs. There were maybe 20 trips to the woods with a load of limbs, but I at least got the yard area cleaned up. Still more limbs to cart off and still more trees to drop, but I think they are going to have to come down piece by piece instead. There is just too much of a chance of them falling on the fence or on the barn itself. Maybe tomorrow I can get a little bit more of that chore done.
     Today was more relaxing. Hung out this morning and got some paper work stuff and banking stuff done. Also read the comics and did the crossword puzzle of course. Headed into town this afternoon with a list of errands to do. On top of the list was getting a haircut again. Seems as though I had once again left it to get too long, but now it's shorter, and I should have at least a month or two before the next one is needed.
    Also had to stop at Target and get a gift card before heading on over to Wally World to get the oil changed in the truck. It didn't seem too busy when I first arrived so it didn't seem like it would take very long for them to service the truck and rotate the tires. But after roaming the store for nearly an hour and a half, doing some minor grocery shopping at the same time, they still hadn't even started in on it by the time I got back. Another long two and a half hours of just sitting there reading my magazines, while this 10 year old, very annoying boy, whined to his mother about being bored and wanting to eat another donut. It was finally done around 5:45 though, and with just enough light to make it home in and unload the truck.
    Just past 10:00 p.m. now and I'm not at all sleepy for a change. Could be that I got more than enough sleep last night, or it could be that I slugged down 60+ oz's. of diet Dr Pepper when I had a late lunch. Either way I think I'll be doing some reading before bed tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment