Wednesday, May 1, 2013

    Another wonderful day in paradise.... no really. Warm temps, limited humidity and lots of sun, it was just a gorgeous day to be out and about. Wish I could say the day was filled with tons of fun things I did, but alas, it was a day to do chores around the place and work on some much needed projects.

    First up was replacing a hunk of the drain line for the front grey tank that broke a couple of days ago. That would be the tank which holds the water from the shower and lavatory up near the front of the trailer. Lucky for me it wasn't the 'black' tank which is the one for the toilet. That would of just been yucky!

    I had bought what I thought would be all of the supplies yesterday at the local Lowes here in Fayetteville, but upon closer inspection it came to light that the 1 1/2" diameter drain line had actually cracked in two places. Once right at the connection point to the 90 degree bend, that is the one I saw leaking, as well as right where the line exits the grey tank under the trailer. That is the one I didn't know about until crawling under there this morning to start work. Really thought I was screwed royally as the pipe snapped right where it entered the mouth of the tank. I had visions of having to... well I don't know what I would of done since I thought at that time that the last connection had been glued into the tank mouth like most connections would be. That would of required a real plumber at the least and a whole new tank at it's worst. But..... on closer inspection I saw that there were a couple of 3" dia hose clamps around the mouth of the tank and buried in all the dirt and grime under the trailer, and that made me think that maybe that wasn't the case. So it was off to get my biggest set of channel locks, since I don't routinely carry a 12" pipe wrench around with me, and with that I started twisting on the little bit of pipe that was still sticking out of the end.... and it all started to move. Yea!   A little bit of work and swearing at it and the whole thing finally came out of there and showed that it was a 3" to 1 1/2" bushing that had just been press fit in there with a little plumbers putty and then secured with the pipe clamps. I would of thought it was a stupid idea before today, but boy was I glad to see that fitting pop out of there.

     So it was off to Lowes again to see if they had anything even faintly like the piece I took out... and they did. So a couple of bucks for that and then another $20 for a ratcheting pipe cutting doohickey, as there is always a good excuse for a new tool, and then back to the trailer to see if I could put it all back together again. So the pipe tool works like a charm, cutting up to 2 1/2" dia pipe with one hand, but it did show me how brittle all of the piping down there is so it should be no surprise that a bump could of cracked it like it did. Anyway, the new bushing when in with a little persusion from my trusty hammer, a bit of cutting and fitting and it was time to glue it up after checking to see that it was all going to fit. So that took way more time than I figured on, but in the end it was all done and ready to go again.

   Once that was done it was on to the roof again to see if there was anything obvious I have been missing as far as where the leak is coming from. Nothing really jumped out at me as I've been over it inch by inch a dozen times. But I took the time to duct tape a portion of the very edge of it where the roof material meets the sidewall of the trailer. Will see if that has any effect on it next time it rains and if it seems to have lessened it then I'll go ahead and try something a little more permanent.

    A bit of late lunch and then off to Wally World to get the truck serviced. While there I picked up a couple of new batteries for the trailer. These are both pretty solid deep cycle style batteries, the kind you can charge and discharge over and over again. They are about the only kind you can use for most boats and RV's as a plain battery would soon burn itself out. Not cheap, but they come with a two year warrenty and they both weigh more than 50 lbs each. I just need to get them both installed and all of the wires and cables cleaned up before taking the old ones back to get my core charge back.  Couldn't get that done today, so it will be sometime tomorrow morning before that gets done.

   Tonight it has just been a lazy evening of reading and watching a movie. An old-new James Bond film with Daniel Craig. This was the 2nd one he did and I remember now that it didn't seem to be as good as the 1st one he did, and it still isn't. Still good enough to see again though and a very pleasant way to spend a quiet evening.










No comments:

Post a Comment