Monday, May 13, 2013

    Cold today, or at least not warm.... which isn't really the same thing, but feels like it when you go outside early in the morning. So I tried to avoid that, going outide that is, as muchas possible this morning. Did finally have to get out and about though and at least go up to the main park office. This morning was my original scheduled departure date, but since I haven't seen everything around here yet and there is really no place else I want to be right at the moment, I decided to see if they would let me stay a bit longer. I figured at the very least they would let me stay another week as I have only stayed for a week so far and most parks have a limit of two weeks total. And indeed they were happy to let me sign up for that many more days with no sweat. The problem is that I wanted to stay a couple more days beyond that amount, four more days to be exact. The lady I was working with, a volunteer, wasn't having any of it at first, so it looked like I would have to pack up and leave for a day come next Monday. Seemed kind of stupid to me since I'm the only one here in the campground again, so they would end up giving up at least some revenue and I would have to go find someplace else to stay for a day and an evening. But another Ranger was listening in and she said they could make exceptions to the rules at times when demand was low. So the short of it is that I'm now signed up through the Friday morning before Memorial Day weekend starts and that will work out well for me.

    Once that was all taken care of it was time to come back to the trailer and get some breakfast and drink a couple of cups of hot tea. A pleasant morning of reading the comics and doing the crossword puzzle, otherwise it was pretty quiet around here.

    I went out after lunch when it had warmed up enough to feel decent outside again. Spent  not quite 2 hours wandering around some of the roads and trails here in the park. Really very pretty out there after all of this rain. Had to really check after getting back to make sure there weren't any nasty old ticks on me. Didn't seem to be, or at least I didn't find any of them. They evidently have these really little, tiny ones back here that aren't much bigger than the period at the end of a sentence. At least not until they swell up from all your blood. Yuck!

   Have been trying to upload pictures onto this Blog for the past 2 hours, but it has been extremely slow going for some reason tonight. Out of the 24 pictures there were to load, only 7 of them actually made it on okay. So no pictures tonight. Tomorrow I'll go out and find a faster WiFi signal somewhere and do all my loading there like I usually do. For right now though it is time to go read a bit before turning in. Tonight it is a book on West Virginia Railroads that I picked up at the museum the other day. A pretty easy and quick read, but it has some wonderful old pictures of early steam and diesel trains in the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment