Friday, May 31, 2013

  Really had good intentions of writing something last night, but was too tired by the time I got back to the trailer that the mind was kind of mush. Much better to wait and write something when I'm at least a little bit more coherent.

   Wednesday was a day to recoup, sleep in and do some of the jobs around the trailer that I had been ignoring. First on the list after getting up was a trip into town to get one of my propane tanks filled. I have two 30 lb tanks on the front  A-frame of the trailer and they can be used either jointly or one at a time. Usually I use them up one at a time so I know there is always one tank left when I finally run the 1st one out. But last time I filled them I managed to damage the collar that attaches my gauge to one of the tanks, so there is only a gauge on the one tank now. I did buy a new gauge to put on, but then found that I didn't have a large enough wrench, like a plumbers wrench, to tighten it up with, and while I don't mind an excuse to buy more tools, I drew the line at paying $20+ dollars for a tool that I would use once and then have to carry around for the next 8 months. So I turned the valve to the center position which runs both tanks at once and figured I would watch the remaining gauge to see when it was near running out. I remember checking it last weekend because I was heading into 4-5 days when I wouldn't be hooked up to any shore power electric. So the fridge would have to run off the propane at that point. The gauge said there was nearly a 1/4 tank left so I didn't worry to much about it.... until I saw the fridge check light was on. Sure enough it wasn't running any more. No problem as it will work just like an ice cooler for at least a little while since it is insulated. So I only lost a couple of things that probably needed throwing out anyway.

    But now I have one full tank and that should get me back to Colorado okay since it took nearly 9 months to run the two of them out. On the other hand it was only about $22 to fill the one up the other day so I may just go and get the other one filled also.

    Had a friend come into town on Wednesday afternoon and we hung out together for the rest of the afternoon and evening. Had a nice dinner in town at a little restaurant with a deck outside facing the river and harbor. A couple of margaritas and some decent Mexican themed food made it even better.

    Yesterday we drove over to the Canadian side of Niagara falls and spent a few hours touring the site and playing tourist. Took a ton of photo's of everything, but haven't even had time to download them yet. High on the list of fun things was taking the boat ride up close to the falls on the 'Maid of the Mist'. They give everyone a cheap, thin plastic raincoat to wear while on the boat, but they aren't very good at keeping you dry. It was sunny and hot though so no one really cared. I took the camera out and took pictures out there also. Not sure if any of them will turn out because of all of the water spots on the lens, but we'll see.

    Nearly 4 hours over there and more than 4 hours back as we had to find some food somewhere along the way. Ended up in a little Thai restaurant in Rochester NY. A really cute little place in a neighborhood that reminded me of S. Pearl Street or Gaylord Street in Denver. We sat outside on the sidewalk patio and had some good, and hot, Thai food and ice tea. Didn't get back until late in the evening and by then I was pretty done for the day.

    Had to be up somewhat early today as I needed to run down to the Syracuse airport and pick up another friend that was flying in from Cincinnati. Anita will be joining me at the end of the weekend for the trip back to her home there and then on to the Dance Trance weekend in Lexington, KY next weekend. It will be fun to have someone along to travel with for a while. This is the 1st time anyone has ever travelled with me, although many have spent a day or two as my guest over the past few years. I hope she knows what she is getting herself into. ;)

    Speaking of dancing, the Great Bear Groove is starting in just a little more than an hour so I need to finish this up and get my teeth brushed. I am so looking forward to this dance as they are still my favorite band and there are so many good friends here to see and dance with. Wha-hoo it is going to be a smokin hot, and sweaty, time here tonight.

Below are a few photo's from a new album I'm starting. Titled Old Barns, Sheds and other Farm Buildings and Machinery, they will be pictures of old stuff that I see along the way. I will be adding to them as I see and photograph more along the way.

 
 Old Barns, Sheds and other Farm Buildings and Machinery.
 
A very old looking barn on the road near Ferrum Virginia. Looks like the upper portion may have been used to dry tobacco, but it's hard to tell at this point.

This one is located on Hwy 8 West of Floyd Virginia. I like this picture for some reason. It might be the deep blue sky, something you don't see to often back east. I think though that it is the way it nestles into the side of the hill like it has always been there.

A more conventional looking barn, this one is near the one in the last photo. I would love to see the inside of this one to see if it was built in a post-and-beam style. It sure looks like it would be. I love the overhang at the front of the barn where the block and tackle hoist would of been mounted so that hay and other materials could be hauled up to the doors into the hay loft.

This structure is a combination of several buildings or additions that were probably built over the years. I liked all of the different roof lines and the old set of wooden stairs up to a second story section. Near Floyd Virginia Photo #1.

Another view showing how old buildings seem to melt into their surroundings somewhat, giving the impression that they just sprung out of the ground right there. Near Floyd Virginia Photo #2.

A view from a different side showing some more of the parts and different roof lines. Near Floyd Virginia Photo #3.

On the same property as the last one, and somewhat close by, was this little gem. Not sure what it was used for originally. It's small and only a single room, but it may have been used as a place for someone to live in. The propane tank next to it lends some credence to this idea, but it might of also been some kind of workshop. Near Floyd Virginia - Old Building #1.

 















No comments:

Post a Comment