Sunday, June 2, 2013

    I can't hardly believe it, but the 'Great Bear Groove' dance weekend is already over. What a fun time it was to dance to the tunes of the Great Bear Trio and the Free Raisins. Calling was provided by one of my favorites, Nils, as well as Sarah and a couple of friends of the band. Saturday nights dance was one of the best I've ever been to and the last session this morning was just a riot. Lot's of fun friends to talk to and dance with, great snacks and always in the background... the music of the Great Bear Trio.

    A bit hotter and certainly more humid at the dance this year. I had sweat just pouring off of me at times. It would of been really embarrassing if it wasn't for the fact that every other dancer. including the ladies, was in the same condition. 'Glowing my eye!'

   With all of the dancing to do there was still time for other things also. A good friend and I spent most of yesterday hanging out around town. We walked out to the Oswego Harbor Lighthouse, really a harbor entrance light, in the morning. At a bit more than a mile out along a stone breakwater, it took us more than an hour to get out there and an hour to get back because of all the climbing and scrambling we had to do from one stone block to another. I'm just grateful that neither one of us fell and twisted an ankle or busted a leg. We also wandered around town a bit and had a nice dinner/lunch at a local Bistro. Pizza, hummus, a Greek olive salad and even an appetizer of fresh beets with orange slices and arugula. It was surprisingly yummy considering I had once swore to never eat beets again, considering the taste of them to be somewhat worse than eating dirt.

    Dancing started this morning with an hour of waltzing before the regular contra dance started. I actually showed up for the waltzing even though I generally skip out on that. I had several friends ask me for a waltz this weekend though and I wanted to dance with as many of them as I could and the regular contra dance usually has only two during any one session. The dance was over way to early as far as I was concerned. Of course my body would beg to differ as it started to stiffen up and feel the effects of so many hours of contra dance fun..... my feet hurt! I stayed around for a little bit after the dance and helped pack a few things up, but I have a guest, Anita, who is going to be travelling with me over the course of this next week, so I needed to get back to the trailer and go grocery shopping and throw clean sheets on the bed.

    Took all of my laundry into town this afternoon and spent the time and money to get it all washed up and clean again. Way to many sweaty dance clothes from this weekend, to allow them to spend any more time than this living under my bed in the dirty clothes basket. Also did a store run and picked up a few staples that needed replenishing, as well as some beer for the next week. We are going to take a drive up into the Thousand Island area of the St Lawrence River tomorrow in hopes of seeing a castle up there, as well as an antique boat museum. If there is time we will also stop by a couple of light house's along the way, as well as anything else that pops up on the radar. Should be a fun time, but now it's time to hit the rack and get some rest. It was a busy weekend and I didn't really get much in the way of a nap in for most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment