Monday, June 17, 2013

   A nice morning hanging out with my sister. She is taking a couple of days off work so we can hang out together while I'm in the area. We had a wonderful breakfast of bacon and eggs and toast and then spent some time looking for the quilting fabric my mom and I had gotten when she was going to do my quilt. We did manage to find a lot of the quilt pieces and a few of the left over remnants, but not everything unfortunately. I'm hoping one of my other sisters might still have some of it, and that I can locate it once I get into the Denver area.

    My brother-in-law came home for a bit this morning and picked me up. He had looked at the rear bumper on my trailer and determined that it would be a lot better if we just replaced the whole 4"x4"x92" metal tube than to try to fix the one that was on there. For one thing the existing one was only  a 16th inch thick and was rusted all the way through in several places. It was actually pretty amazing that the whole thing didn't just fall off long before it tried to. We went over to a local shop that sells metal shapes for welding, and picked up a piece that was a full 1/8th inch thick to replace it with. Would of preferred one at 3/16th's but no luck finding a piece long enough at that thickness. What was very surprising to me was that the whole thing cost me less than $24 dollars.

   Kathy and I hung out all afternoon, running a few errands and me finally finishing up all my laundry. We had an old fashioned fish fry this evening, managing to eat a lot of those fish we caught on Saturday. My sister has a recipe that uses potato buds as part of the coating and they really turn out light and crispy and full of flavor. Yum!

   After dinner we all went down to the shop where Mark commenced tearing off the old trailer bumper and welding on the new one. The man is simply a genus when it comes to fabricating things like that. Using a variety of cutting, plasma and standard welding torches he hung the new bumper onto the old trailer frame and then 'beefed' up each connection so that it should last at least as long as the trailer does. The last thing tonight was priming it and getting a couple layers of black paint sprayed onto it. It will dry over night in the shop and we will be able to remount the bike rack and generator rack on it tomorrow evening. I hadn't really planned for him to do all this work for me, but I am certainly glad that he did. I know that there is no one, or place, who could of done even half the job he did. I'm going to owe him big time now.

   We are going fishing again tomorrow morning, Mark is taking the day off and we are loading up the boat and heading for Trenton Reservoir early in the morning. In fact so early that I should really be getting to bed and getting some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment