Friday, June 7, 2013

    Drove until nearly 5:30 last night before finally pulling into the RV camp about 25 miles south of Lexington, Kentucky. A new one for me, this one, Chimney Rock RV, is located on a large lake out in the middle of nowhere. I went ahead and signed up for a full week here just because I'm not yet sure what will be happening after this weekends dance. Eventually, of course, I'll be turning my sights towards the west and head off to Nebraska and then on into Colorado. Hoping to be there sometime by early July, but not real sure of the exact date yet.

   Right now though I'm settled into a decent little spot here in the camp. It is odd to compare this place to the wonderful spots in the state parks we've had these last couple of days. For one, it was cheaper at the state parks, an average of $25 per night instead of the $30 for this place. But because I'm staying a week here there is a discount of 7 nights for the price of 6, so it comes out pretty even if you want to stay that long. But the most telling differences in places are the layout of the actual camp sites. In the state parks we had these wonderful, long, spacious pads with plenty of room on either side, which felt even roomier since no one else was parked next to us. Here I'm on a pad that barely fits the trailer and the people next door had to actually pull their outdoor awning in so that I could back the trailer in. I understand the need to maximize profits, and crowding in as many spots as you can is one of the easiest ways to do it, but this is pretty cozy in here. There also seem to be a lot of permanent set ups in this park. People who keep their trailer here either all year around or at least a couple of months per year. Nothing wrong with that either, as it is a cheap way for people to live, but it does seem odd to have wooden decks and storage buildings right next door to you. In short, it is an okay place to land for a few days, but I don't think I'll be back here again next year. I'm kind of regretting not staying at the same place I was last year, even though it was a lot more run down and cheesier. It just felt more like home for some reason.

    So now it is Friday and my guest and I are still wondering what we want to do today. Kind of cloudy out and it looks like it might rain any minute so we are hesitant to go do a long walk/hike out in the woods. We may go into town and check out a museum or two or just walk around the downtown area for a couple of hours. For right now though I need to go get a shower and then pack up all my dance togs for the evening and load them and all of Anita's stuff into the truck. It has been really fun having someone along this past week. It appears that I can handle having someone else 'invading' my space, at least for a little while. Not sure how long it would be before my trailer would start to feel to small for two people, but so far it seems to work okay. I think having good weather and being able to spend time outside has really helped. It has been really nice having someone along during the driving portion though, we have had a lot of laughs this week and that has been really good for me.

    Tonight is the start of the Lexington weekend dance called Dance Trance. This year the top tier band will be 'Mean Lids' from someplace north of here, Indiana or Ohio or such. The 2nd band will be Contraforce, and I haven't ever heard them, so that should be a lot of fun. The callers this weekend will be Seth, one of my favorites, and someone named Keith. Lot's of known friends will be attending as well as a lot that I don't know at all. Either way though, it looks to be a fun filled, hot and sweaty weekend of pure enjoyment. Will post more about it as it all unfolds. Now for that shower....

No comments:

Post a Comment