Friday, June 14, 2013

   West through Lincoln Nebraska and on to the great plains of North America. Beautiful and still green this early in the summer. And it is certainly summer now in the west. Temperatures across Nebraska were still in the high 80's and low 90's, but humidity must of been down in the single digits... hardly any sweat at all for most of the day.

   Managed to turn up an off ramp by mistake this morning while trying to pull into a gas station off the interstate. Lucky for me there wasn't much in the way of on coming traffic, and they all managed to miss me while wondering what kind of drugs I was on, but there was a full 3 lanes to the ramp so I managed to turn the truck and trailer around with no damage done, except to my ego.

   Headwinds all the way today so gas mileage sucked again. But it can't be helped at times so you just become thankful that the price of gas is 40 to 60 cents less than it was two days ago. Two tank fulls and you are talking $16 to $30. Pulled into Kearney around 3:00 this afternoon and found the local Cabela's store. Needed to pick up a fishing license and state parks pass, but like always there were other things to look at.... and buy. In my case it was this really cool case that is for fishing gear, but which I will use to haul some of my camera gear around in. One nice thing for me is that there were enough Cabela Points on my card for me to get everything free.

    Was going to get back on the highway and keep driving since it was still early, but it is so hot that when I passed by a movie theatre I thought it might be nice to spend a couple of hours in the air conditioned dark, watching one of the latest Hollywood offerings. So in I went for a couple hours to watch 'Can you see me'. A pretty good show really, entertaining, with a few twists and turns thrown in to make it interesting.

   Back to the highway after that though, and on west for a few miles until I hit the next rest area. The wind  has now died down and the temperature is a good 20 degrees cooler than when I went into the theatre. It evidently rained pretty good for a while, and then, like it often does out west, it cleared off, dried up and turned into a beautiful evening. Kind of loud where I'm parked right now because the rest area is so close to the highway, but it should die away a lot as the evening gets later. One nice thing is that I'm parked in a 'line' of trucks tonight so there is no way one can come up and park next to me and leave their generator running all night. Still to warm to go to bed yet, so I'm going to do some reading. Will still keep an ear open in case the closest tornado siren goes off, not much I can do if it does, but it would be nice to know which way to run. Hopefully that won't happen tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment