Thursday, June 13, 2013

    A rainy, grey, but calm morning when I took off from my snug little slot between the big rigs in the rest area. It soon cleared off and turned sunny, but didn't get above 82 degrees this afternoon, so there wasn't as big of a need to use my air conditioning. It was also nice that the wind changed direction and started blowing from the northeast. Not perfect for the direction I was going, but better than having it right in my face all day.

    So it was pretty easy to put a few miles on early in the day and then take a good hour long break for lunch. A few more hours this afternoon, and many more miles, has finally brought me into the great state of Nebraska. Only a little more than 340 miles left to go to my sisters place, but there is no intention on getting there anytime soon. Right now the plan is to pull over at the Cabela's store in Kearney, NB and pick up my fishing license and state parks pass. Then if they have a campground associated with that store, like some of thier other ones do, I'll spend the night there and explore the area a little bit. One nice thing about all of this is that I have enough Cabela Points, from using my credit card, that it shouldn't cost me anything for all of this.

   One other thing I want to check into along the way is a chance to visit this huge, the biggest in the world, railroad classification yard in North Platte Nebraska. It is through this 'yard', a series of tracks that railroad cars are sorted onto, that most of the railroad traffic in the mid part of the country goes through. They evidently have a tower there, much like an air traffic control tower, that you can climb up on and watch all of the action. So if it all works out well I'll try to do that along my way.

   In the mean time it's getting late and it has been way to many hours of sitting around on my butt today. I think it is time to go walk around the rest area again and then go to bed.





No comments:

Post a Comment