Saturday, June 8, 2013

   My last day with a friend travelling with me was yesterday. It was really fun having someone tag along with me on some of my adventures, so I hope she doesn't take this the wrong way when I say it is a relief to finally be on my own again. I guess I really am an introvert at heart.

    That being said, we had a great time on our last day together. We started out slow with a leisurely morning of tea drinking and hanging out. Once out on the road we headed for Boonesbourgh State Park over to the east of us, but we couldn't even find it on Emma, my GPS unit, so we just picked the closest town to it and hoped we would see signs for it once we got there.

   We had a wonderful little road trip over there, taking all these little back roads and seeing a lot of neat little farms with dry stacked stone walls running around them. It's horse country around here of course, so lots of beautiful horses out on the green, green grass. Many of them with little foals by their side or laying down sleeping in the weak sunshine.

    We finally ended up in the town of Richmond and promptly got lost again, but managed to find a part of their old town that looked kind of interesting. We wandered around the streets for a little while, and since we hadn't eaten anything yet, and it was after noon already, we picked this little hole in the wall Greek restaurant and both had a nice gyro sandwich with fresh cooked french fries. Yum!

    We did end up at the State Park eventually, and it was a very nice park indeed, but really not much in the way of hiking trails to take. We spent a couple of hours wandering around looking at the old fort ruins and reading all of the signs up near the lock keepers house on the hill above one of the Kentucky River Locks. Really pretty little place, and next year if I do this dance again I'll likely camp out there instead of where I am this year.

   On into Lexington from there and a quick run over to the dance location just to make sure we knew where it was. Afterwards, with a couple of hours to kill and it being hot and humid outside, we ended up over at the mall so that we could wander around in the air conditioned cool.

   But finally it was time to head over to the dance for the evening. We started dancing to the tunes of Contraforce and calling by Keith, right on time. Very high energy all evening and a lot of fun dancing with all my friends who were at the dance with me. What was real nice was having a really good friend show up right before the mid break and having a couple of nice dances with her.

    As always the time just flew by, so it must of been really, really fun. Went over to some new friends home after the dance and sat around and talked for a good hour or so. But eventually it was time to get back on the road and make the nearly hour long drive back out to my camp. Even that was very pleasant though and it gave me time to dry out and to think about how lucky I am to be able to do all of these things that I love, with friends who are just the best people in the world.

    Off to have some more fun today. Not sure yet what that will be, but it will be with a friend and I know it will be enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment