Sunday, May 11, 2014

   A very busy couple of days lately with lots of fun, some accomplishments, one injury and some quiet down time because of the rain.
   Going back to last Friday; headed out to the big city on that day in order to pick up another, hopefully the last, load of wood for rebuilding the shed. Bought a bunch of OSB, Oriented Strand Board, sheets for the roof sheathing, some pressure treated 1"x6" fence pickets for siding, a roll of felt paper, nails and misc. tools and other items. Managed to get it all bought and loaded before the rain started to come down like gang busters. I sat in the parking lot for about 30 minutes while it just poured down rain. Really kind of neat.
    Picked up Rima later on in the afternoon and went and had beer during happy hour at Odd Fellows in Floyd. We sat and talked with a couple of her friends and then went on over to Micky G's for some dinner. I finally ordered a pizza there, one of the things I've been meaning to do, and it was worth it. Good stuff that night, and even better cold on Saturday morning.
   We were hoping to work on the shed on Saturday, but it was really too wet to do any work on it that morning. We got all the stuff unloaded though and then did a few small jobs around the place. One thing we needed to do was move the horses to the upper pasture where the grass is much better. As part of that I had to move a string line, actually rope line, that I had been using to line up fence posts with  so the horses wouldn't trip over it in their hurry to reach better grass. It was while I was restringing that line that the accident happened. I use a couple of loops in the line in order to gain some mechanical advantage while tightening it up and I was really torqueing on it when it decided to break. Didn't know I had that much strength in me. The end result though was that I went flying backwards in a heap and landed on the ground right on top of the one rock in the area.  Hard!
    Lucky for me, my well padded butt hit first and then the very bottom edge of my shoulder bone, scapula, came down on the top of that very solid and pointy rock. Boy did that hurt. Did manage to pick myself up, and luckily there was no blood, but I knew it was going to be pretty bad once it had time to stiffen up. And it did, finally growing a knot on my back the size of half a football and turning all kinds of different colors. Within an hour or two, my right arm and shoulder were pretty useless and doing anything, even just sitting still, was pretty painful. That being said, there was really nothing else to do about it. There was no puncture wound to get sewn up, and no broken bones to be set. None that could be set anyway, there may actually be a bit of a dent in the scapula, but there isn't anything that can be done for that other than a sling. So I started taking aspirin and other OTC drugs right away and I have managed to be up and about for the rest of yesterday and most of today already.
    Last night was a little difficult because we had plans to go to the theatre in Roanoke. We went ahead and had lunch and dinner out yesterday afternoon and evening and then went on to see the play 'Swing' at the Mill Mountain Theatre. Actually managed to survive the evening and even enjoyed the whole thing. The play was more just a song and dance venue showcasing some of the older swing/blues/do-wop songs from the 20's through the 50's than it was a play. But really good music and lots of fun dancing to watch and enjoy. It seemed like it was over way to soon for me.
   I slept pretty well considering I would wake up pretty much any time I moved. So, I guess, I just stopped moving after a while. Did sleep in a bit later this morning, but my back is feeling much better. Still sore and very stiff, but the bump on my back feels like it has shrunk some since last night. Still having some trouble raising my arm over my shoulder, but it will get better as the day goes on and I think it will all be just a memory in another day or two.
    In the mean time I am just going to take it easy and go drink some ice tea on the back deck and just enjoy the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment