Wednesday, May 14, 2014

    Sorry that it has been a few days... I think there was something in my last post about me having a fall and injuring my back. Turns out that it was a bit more serious than I first thought. By Saturday night I could barely turn, and Sunday morning had me popping aspirin and trying not to move. Still not much that could be done about it, other than relax and take it easy, and by Sunday evening it was even starting to feel more normal, I could at least move my hand up to my shoulder without too much pain. By Monday morning, and a couple of nights of sleep, it was even better. Still painful, and very swollen I'm told, but my arm could now extend above my head and walking was hardly painful at all. Time to get back to work I guess.
    Started back in on the wood shed rebuild around noon and had 90% of the roof sheathed with new OSB by the end of the day. With Rima's help we also got all of the new siding nailed on and the new facia boards in place. It is actually starting to look pretty good, and except for some pain while twisting, the old back worked pretty good too.
    Yesterday was a day off from physical labor. Not because of increased pain from the day before, but because there was other stuff to get done. On top of the list was running into Christensburg and having the Ford dealer there install a new driver side mirror on the truck. Not quite $300 and nearly 3 hours of  waiting, but at least now I can see where I have been while driving. Just need to find an extension replacement mirror now so I can see backwards while the trailer is in tow behind me.
    Got back to the farm in time to pick up Rima and head for Floyd. We wanted to try a new place in town for dinner last night. The 'Artist Place', or some such name, is located in the same place where Natasha's use to be. We were very skeptical that any place could approach it's level of food perfection, but the new Chef did a good job of impressing us both. I had roast chicken breast with a medley of spring veggies and mashed potatoes and gravy, while Rima had a pork chop over cannelloni beans and other veggies. It was all really yummy and way too much food to even think of dessert at that time.
    We then spent an hour or so running out to pick up a vehicle of hers and then came back home and took a nice evening walk. While she watered some plants I went ahead and whipped up a little dessert that I had been wanting to try. It was poached pears in their own caramel sauce all made up in one 12" cast iron skillet on top of the stove. They didn't turn out perfect, but for a fist time try they did turn out good enough. Will certainly be trying to do this recipe once again.
   Off to try and finish off the shed this afternoon. The weather report is for rain starting up sometime tomorrow and it would be nice if there were actual shingles on the roof by then.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment