Saturday, May 17, 2014

   Another couple of days here in Virginia. Thursday was a good time to just recuperate from my labors during earlier days as it pretty much rained all day that day. I had managed to get about 2/3rd's of the roof on the wood shed shingled the day before, and I was exhausted. But the rain pretty much kept me indoors and not doing much in the way of labor, so it was a really nice day to just hang out and read and putz around the house.
    One thing I did do on Thursday is cook up a couple of loaves of cinnamon pear bread from a new recipe I had found on fb. It turned out pretty good, though the pears were maybe a little to bland by themselves. I think a cup of rhubarb or maybe some strawberries would of upped the flavor quotation.
   Yesterday was pretty clear, although a bit on the cool side. It did dry out the rest of the shed roof for me to at least finish it up. A couple more hours of pounding nails and cutting off the end shingle pieces was all it took. I think it turned out okay, and am hoping it will last at least another 20 years before needing to be fixed again. Of course there are always the side walls to it that I didn't touched this time around. They may need  a little rehabbing in a couple of years also.
   In the mean time I have found that 8 of the 17 asparagus plants I put in this spring have now come through the dirt. It is likely that a few more of them will come up at some point soon.... the ones the gophers haven't eaten anyway. Unfortunately, none of the grapes I planted have come out again after they froze back a couple of weeks ago. I'll be leaving them in for at least a couple more weeks just to make sure, but it isn't looking great right now.
    Went into town last night with Rima for drinks and munchies at Odd Fellows. Good beer and conversation with a bunch of her friends. Afterwards we went on down to the town of Riner for dinner at the buffalo place. Buffalo quesadilla's were on the menu for both of us, as well as copious amounts of unsweetened ice tea. Yum!
   Still on the cool side outdoors today. Made a quick run into the grocery store in Floyd this morning to pick up some zucchini and flour. Rima is having several of her female friends over this evening for a clothing exchange and I told her I would make her a cake for the party. Actually making two of them right now with the hope that there might actually be some of it left for me later on.
    I'm actually getting kicked out of the house for the evening, but I already have plans for that. First will be dinner over in Blacksburg, maybe Chinese food, and then a night at the movies watching one of the 'Boys Night Out' type movies that have come out in the last couple of months. Perhaps 'Captain America' or the new 'Spider Man'. But first.... let there be cake!


*


No comments:

Post a Comment