Sunday, February 15, 2015

   A pretty nice day outside today, even though it has remained colder than I would care for. It did finally warm up this afternoon to an almost balmy 57 degrees. With a sunny sky and no wind it felt warm enough to be out and about for a while. Just a nice walk into town and back again, it was nice and uneventful.
   So other than that it has been pretty quiet here. I spent most of the day reading my book, putting stuff away and working on photo's from St Croix. I'm now on my 19th Martha Grimes novel in the Richard Jury series. This is the only one that I haven't read before, so it is exciting to think that I don't know what the end of this one is going to be. I have read all the other ones 2 or 3 times before, but still find them good enough of a read that I imagine there will be at least one more reading of them sometime in the future.
   It is suppose to start warming up tomorrow and on Tuesday. I hope to be out and running around a bit more now that the new week will be starting. On my list is finding someone who can weld a piece of my trailer hitch back together again. It isn't absolutely necessary for me to safely tow the trailer, but it would be nice to have it fixed. There is also at least one new movie out there that I would like to go see, but that isn't real high on my list. More important is going and getting some fresh fruit and more English muffins for my breakfast.
    Here are a few more photo's from last weeks trip to St Croix. These are just some of the many flowers, trees and fruits that you can find on the island at some time during the year.


St Croix Contra Dance Week - February 2015







This is a calabash tree on the grounds of Sugar Beach Resort where the contra dance was held. I find it interesting that the fruit grows right off the middle of a major branch. These gourds were used as bowls and other utensils in the past.

I have no idea what this fruit is or if it is edible or not. I just find it interesting to look at.

One of many pretty red flowering shrubs that grow on the island.

This is called 'Shooting Star Clerodendrum'.

Lot's and lots of pretty flowers that I have no names for.





Bougainvillea, this one is red. One trick question many people will ask is how many different colors this flower comes in.... usually while surrounded by many different colored specimens. But the question is a trick because there is only one color for the bougainvillea flower.... that is white. You can see it there in the bottom center of the photo. The different colors are actually the plants 'bracts', so it is very similar to the poinsettia plant in that respect.  



Another shot of a bougainvillea plant.



brk*

No comments:

Post a Comment