Tuesday, May 29, 2012

    Another hard early morning rainstorm which then continued, off and on, for most of the afternoon also. Took my time getting up and getting a shower, cooking some breakfast and reading the funnies. The rain finally let up a bit just before noon so I went ahead and hopped in the truck and headed for the harbor district where it was just misting lightly. Just wandered the docks for an hour or so and looked at all of the boats. It got me to thinking that it is really time to go sailing again, just need to figure out how to get some of my friends to join me. Of course it's now hurricane season in the Caribbean.... maybe Greece or Turkey? It all sounds wonderful to me, the trick is in making it happen.

   In the meantime it started to rain again while I was down on the docks. Lucky for me the maritime museum was open today so I ducked in there for a very pleasant couple of hours. Most of the exhibits concerned the local area of course, but lots of interesting stuff about ship building in the area and battles won and lost during the Revolutionary war and the war of 1812.

   Lots of nice boat models and old ship parts with exhibits ranging from pre-settlement days right up to the present. They had one whole room devoted to the Coast Guard, the Revenue Service and the Light House Service. The latter two being the two parts that were later joined together to create today's Coast Guard. It's always fun to look through old pictures and see exhibits of boats and station life. After all these years I still miss the excitement a little bit. But it was still better to get out when I did and go do other things. I miss the boats!

    Finally stopped raining around 6:30 this evening and started to clear up. It's suppose to be nicer tomorrow, which would be a big help as I'm planning on leaving in the morning. It has been a really fun week exploring this part of the country and going to the dance and all, but I'll be ready to get on the road again in the morning.

    So back to the last RV camp I was in down near Fort Klock. Hope to spend a couple days there to see the rest of the fort. Which is basically all the interior stuff that was missed last time because it was still closed. Won't be there too long though, instead I'll do a bit of meandering on my way to the next major stop which will be Lexington, Kentucky. Need to be there by the weekend after next for another dance weekend, 'Dance Trance'. Perpetual e-Motion will be the main band and Robert Cromaritie (sp), and Gaye Fifer will be calling. Already looking forward to seeing a whole bunch of people I haven't seen in a while. After that though, it's back to Colorado.

   Watched the movie 'The Godfather' in the trailer this evening. First off let me say that it's a really long movie..... but having now seen the whole thing for the first time, it is easy to see why it won so many awards. I can still remember reading the book when I was 9 or 10 years old and thinking that it was going to make a good movie even then. Al Pacino was one mean mobster in the end.

    So one of the displays in the museum today was this picture and description of the type boats I use to run while in the Coast Guard many, many years ago. They no longer have any of them on duty, but once in awhile you can still find one that someone bought and still maintains.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment