Tuesday, May 15, 2012

   Tried to load some pictures a little while ago, but the signal is so slow tonight that it would simply 'bomb out' after cranking away on a photo for 5 minutes or so.

   So no pictures tonight, but it's okay though because what I wanted to post was just a couple of pictures of the model train layout I've been working on for about a year. Since it rained pretty much all night and through today I set the layout up and did some work on it this afternoon. All of the track that is going on this section is now in and glued down so it has been a matter of running electrical wires to all of it and soldering the track and all of the rail joiners that connect one piece of track to another.

    While in Denver last fall I had a chance to go down to 'Caboose Hobbies', billed as the worlds largest train store, and I think it may be, and picked up a new model of a little bitty DCC ready 44 ton diesel engine. DCC, or Direct Command Control, is a newer form of controlling model train engines. Using a separate micro chip that is mounted in each engine, it allows more than one engine, up to a total of 99, to be run on the same track at the same time. Speed and direction can be different for each engine and now some newer engines are even coming out with sound modules that sound just like their real life models would sound like.

   Anyway; had to pick up a new engine because the steam engines I already have were packed away in my storage unit somewhere. Since my model empire is set in the time period of 1948-1950, the middle of the transition period between steam and diesel engines, both types of engines will work on my layout. Once I had all the electrical wires run it was a matter of installing my DCC controller to it all and start running trains. I took a few photo's today, and with some earlier ones, they were the pictures that I tried to upload earlier. Perhaps the signal will be a bit stronger tomorrow.

    Besides working on the train layout it was also a good day for reading my book and playing on the computer. I am hoping that the weather will be better tomorrow as I will be ready to be out and about by then. For now though I think it's time to go read a few more chapters before going to bed.

  





No comments:

Post a Comment