Thursday, September 12, 2013

   First day back on the road. Got a bit of a late start due to the rain in Colorado, as it took longer to pack up all of my stuff in the truck this morning. Also had to stay around long enough to say good bye to all of my friends before dashing off to the east where it is likely we won't see each other again for the next 9-10 months.

 Cloudy and rainy all the way up to Longmont this morning. My first stop was at my storage unit where I dropped off a few last items and loaded up some of the stuff I took out of the truck for the summer. From there it was on to the bank for some last minute paperwork stuff and then on to my post office box to pick up the last bunch of mail I'll be seeing for a long time. Had been expecting a couple of small packages that I had ordered to be there, but I knew they were on back order, so it wasn't totally unexpected that they wouldn't be there yet. Oh well, next year I will probably have forgotten all about them ,so it will be like having Christmas in July for me.

   Stopped and filled the truck up with gas and then went on over to the trailer storage place. It actually stopped raining long enough for me to transfer stuff from the trailer to the truck and vice-versa, and then hook the trailer, and all of it's components, back up and get it ready to get back on the road. The only real sour note to the whole experience was to find that the wind had blown one of my roof top vents open at some point, and that the rain we have been experiencing for the last two days has had free reign to come in and drench much of my kitchen and dining area. It also appears that the leak over the bed, which I thought I had finally found and fixed, still isn't fixed. Not much can be done about it all right now though, so the most I can do is clean up the mess as best as I can and then try to get it all dried out as soon as possible. I'll work on the roof sometime down the road when I have some nice warm and sunny weather again.

   Took off around noon finally and after 4+ hours of driving in the rain and wind I managed to get as far as my sisters home in Imperial Nebraska. A fun time this evening just sitting around with her and Mark and a mutual friend, Daniel, chatting and drinking beer. Early in the evening they took me out for what may have been my last really good Mexican food meal.  I'm really going to miss that stuff for sure.

   Headed on east early in the morning. I need to stop at a Menard's hardware store briefly, in Kearney Nebraska, in order to return some items I bought there a couple months ago. But I hope to put a good 500-600 miles on each of the next two days. I'd like to be back near the east coast sometime around Saturday afternoon if everything works out okay. Right now though I'm just hoping the torrential rain will go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment