Friday, September 6, 2013

   Was up before 6:00 a.m. this morning in order to get my truck into the truck service department at a local dealership when they opened at 7:00. Way, way to early for sane people to be awake, but there I was trying to act like I was awake and coherent. Dropped the truck off with a whole list of things that needed to be checked or replaced and then went off to find some breakfast.  I headed on over to a local McDonald's for a quick breakfast and then spent a couple hours reading the paper and a couple of magazines I had brought with me. Drinking several glasses of diet doctor pepper helped me to stay awake through out the morning. So I was technically awake.... but not really!

   Checked back at the service counter around 11:00 and found that they had gotten all of the spark plugs out with out breaking a single one off inside the engine head. Something that is pretty common I've heard. They got them all replaced and were going on to checking and replacing  all of the assorted fluids next. Sounded like they had it all well in hand so I gave George a call and he came over to pick me up and we went on out to lunch together. Vietnamese noodle bowls were on the menu today. We both had the lunch special that had a little bit of everything; shrimp, pork, chicken, beef and even an egg roll included in. I sure do love those things, really wish I could figure out the recipe for the sauce they use on them. That way I would make them for myself all of the time.

    George dropped me off after lunch and I spent another couple of hours just sitting around in the waiting room at the dealership. Did check out the price on some of the new pickups just to see what it would cost me if I had to replace mine anytime soon. Running anywhere from 40K, for a no frills model, all the way up to more than 70K, I hope mine will last at least another couple of years for me. Either that or they are going to have to start putting a bed and bathroom in each of them because they are now costing nearly a third of what a brand new home is costing and they don't even last for more than 10 years on average.

   They were all done replacing stuff by 3:30, and while the total cost was nearly $1,500, it was actually less than I thought it was going to be. For that price I got new brakes and rotors on the rear wheels, a new serpentine belt, fuel filter and new fluids in the tranny and differentials. A few other odds and ends, but that was pretty much it. The nice thing is that it does actually feel like it is running a little better again. I sure hope so anyway.

    Got it all paid for and then headed out to find the part I needed for my window that stopped working yesterday. Could hardly believe it, but I actually found what I needed at a local NAPA store and didn't even have to special order it. Now it is just a matter of finding a couple of hours in order to install the darn thing.

    Relaxed this evening after taking Rhodie for a nice walk and getting her and the cat fed. Really needed to take a nap, but didn't because I want to actually sleep sometime tonight. Need to be up very early again tomorrow. My friend Marge made it back to the states this evening, after more than two weeks of touring in Russia. Would like to see her and George one last time before they leave again on Saturday, so tomorrow morning is pretty much the only time they have to spare from packing. So we are going to do breakfast or early brunch before I head back up to Longmont for a doctors and dentist appointments. Yup, time to go get poked and prodded in that yearly ritual known as my annual check up.

    Right now though it is time to go to bed so I look and feel my best for the doctor. More pictures are posted below. Still on the river trip to Montana for a couple more days and then I'll be on to a different subject, I promise.

Missouri River Trip in Montana - August 2013


Continuing on down the river from our stop at Hole in the Wall, the scenery is still wonderful.

Looking down river at 'Dark Butte', another, very large, volcanic plug. In front of the butte notice the large white formation that is known as the 'Arc Angel'.

We had just a few moments in the day when the wind was actually down river enough to take advantage of. Most of the time the wind was pretty much up river against us.

We pull in for the night at a camp site known as Dark Butte. Behind the camp site was another formation known as 'Steamboat Rock'. At the proper angle and light the two spires at the front of the formation do look like the 'grasshopper' legs found on old steamboats.  

Looking down river from camp, the light was really beautiful.

Camp is set up and we are just relaxing before dinner. Steph and I had dinner duty again this evening. On the menu were 'ice cold' beer to go with the pre-dinner snacks. Still plenty of ice left in the coolers, even though the temp has been in the high 70's and low 80's for most of the week.

Dinner tonight was gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches along with tomato basil soup. Four types of cheese and bread to choose from, fresh tomato, avocado and all the regular condiments.... they were yummy.

A better look at Steamboat Rock.

I like the light in this one.

Another beautiful sunset.

The view from my tent was outstanding.

Looking at Dark Butte and Arc Angel as the sun is setting in the west.

Hard to beat sitting by the river with a cold drink in your hand, old friends to talk to and a beautiful sunset to watch. Doesn't really get much better than this.

From Dark Butte we paddle about 20 miles down the river the next day and arrive at Judith Landing for the evening. The Judith River had been named by Clarke after his cousin whom he ended up marrying after getting back from their long journey. These days it is where most canoe groups get off of the river as 'all of the pretty scenery' is already done with. It use to have a seasonal store where you could buy ice cream and get water, but that closed several years ago. It's a decent place to camp and you can get rid of trash here. This old cabin, from the late 1800's was the store/cafe that use to be open.

Our camp at Judith Landing.

John and Caroline had dinner duty. A homemade white bean chili if I remember right. It tasted good, that's for sure.

An interesting sky that evening.

Continuing on the next day we pass by the second free car ferry still being used on that section of the river.

A closer view of the car ferry. I haven't ever driven over this one, but did take the one several days up river from here a couple of years ago.







No comments:

Post a Comment