Monday, September 2, 2013

   Today was a day of relaxation. Slept until 9:00 and then made a nice breakfast and preceded to celebrate Labor Day by not laboring. Cooked up my version of an Egg McMuffin. A couple of scrambled eggs, two patties of sausage, a couple toasted English muffins, a piece of provolone and some hot mustard. About 5 min's from fridge to plate and then an hour of reading and doing the crossword puzzles. Yum!

    Had finished up most of my scanning late last night, leaving only a couple packages of photo's to still do. Didn't get any of those done today either, but will have time later on, even if I'm on the road, to do all of them. So today was spent mostly in goofing off, something I generally excel at. Played with the dog a couple of times, ate junk food and watched lots of TV shows I haven't seen in a long time. I even watched a 1/2 hour of Gilligan's Island, a show I hadn't seen in more than 40 years. By luck this happened to be the very first episode ever broadcast. So who among you knew that the professors real name was Roy?

    Went and ate dinner at Chipotle's just to get out and about for a while. Read most of the latest Popular Mechanics magazine and learned more than anyone needs to know about drones and the future of higher education in the U.S. Right now I'm soaking in all kinds of neat information about this country's National Parks System by viewing the documentary by Ken Burns on PBS. A wonderful show about all of those great places I have either seen and experienced or want to see and experience. The only other thing to do yet this evening is to make a list of truck repairs I want done when I take it into the dealership, hopefully on Wednesday.

   Below are a few more photo's from my river trip on the Missouri River in Montana. All of them are of the same scene, just taken at different times of the day and with different lighting for each one. I've seen it in most every day or night situation except for those in the winter. Each is unique and beautiful in it's own right. I never get tired of looking out on these cliffs from my camp across the river and never will.

Missouri River Trip in Montana - August 2013


Looking out from our camp of two days and nights at the white cliffs along the edge of the river. The cliff directly across from us has always been known as 'Eye of the Needle' by Tom and I, because of the rock formation that use to stand right on the edge of the topmost edge. That formation has since been broken or eroded into a shadow of it's former grandeur, but we will always remember it as we first saw it floating down the river 41 years ago.

How nice it is to sit on the banks of the river with a cold beer or glass of wine and watch the sun go down in the west.

 

One of my favorite times is early in the morning when the light reflects the distant shore back onto the river.


I like the reflection in this one.  

 

 

Not really sunset yet. This is just the light left after the sky clouded over one afternoon.

 

We didn't know it at the time but a large number of forest fires in Idaho at this same time were throwing up large amounts of smoke and ash. Not great for breathing, but the sunsets for the next couple of nights were stupendous. The remaining photo's were all taken on the same evening and are the result of just sitting and waiting long enough for the clouds and the lighting to change.

 

Loved the clouds in this one.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment