Saturday, December 7, 2013

   Just a beautiful day here in middle Florida. A just right temperature this morning when I got up. Wandered around the trailer after my shower with out shoes and the door and all the roof top vents wide open. You can certainly feel the humidity down here, and that is something that I am still having a hard time adjusting to. Not sure how anyone deals with that 'sticky' feeling once it turns off really hot and muggy. But I never stay around here long enough to find out, so it doesn't really matter all that much to me.

    Spent the morning doing all my usual things, food, shower, checking the computer etc. Once that was all done I headed out to Dudley State Park over east of where I'm camped. This state park is made up of an old homestead that has been kept pretty much as it would of been during the last century. So they have the old house and barns as well as all the gardens and fields that they would of had before modernization. Once a year they put on an old time days celebration where they bring in a whole bunch of volunteers to dress up in period costume and show all us modern people how simple things use to be done. So they have people smelting iron and grinding corn, people churning butter and actually doing the wash by hand, cooking dinner and my favorite, grinding up sugar cane and boiling it down into syrup. I wandered around for a couple of hours, had some hot funnel cake, talked to a guy about different citrus trees he was selling, and taking pictures of mules and chickens and turkeys. Took a whole bunch of pictures so there may be a few posted in a day or two.

    Stopped in to Tractor Supply afterwards, as I wanted to see if they had a grommet setter in their tool department. I bought a heavy duty gas grill cover a couple weeks back that I wanted to use to cover up and protect my bike and outdoor chairs with. They hang on a bike rack that I have mounted to the back bumper of the trailer, and it works real well as far as carting all of that around and keeping it out of the way, while still keeping them all available for use. The only problem with the grill cover is that there is nothing to keep it from blowing off while tooling down the highway at 65 mph. So they didn't have any grommet setter sets, but they did have some of these tarp clips that look like they might work. They attach to the edge of a tarp in some manner, I think it might be magic, but they have a place to hook on bungee cords  at the other end. So I am going to give it a try and see how it works.

    Just hanging out at Micky D's using their WiFi signal and drinking way to much caffeinated soda. Tomorrow the plan is to do laundry and pack up as much as possible in preparation for my trip north on Monday. I talked to a couple of friends back west yesterday and I am so glad I am not back there right now. Below zero in Denver and more than twenty below in Chadron. The thought of temperatures that cold just make me cringe. It also makes me hope that come Monday I don't end up driving right into a nasty ice/snow storm in Virginia. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.



No comments:

Post a Comment