Wednesday, December 18, 2013

    Spent yesterday afternoon working outside trimming trees and picking up dead limbs and putting them in piles. There was a little to much wind blowing for me to feel comfortable using the chainsaw. It would certainly ruin my whole day to have a tree fall on me, not to mention being uncomfortable. I had a lot of fun just cutting limbs off however, and I think the area I was working in looks a bit better and is now better able to resist a ground fire, if one was ever to start.

   My friend Rima got home around 5:00 and after eating a piece of quiche that I had made earlier in the day, see photo's below, we were off to a nearby town, Radford, where we stopped at the local University for their holiday program at the planetarium. Just a short program one of the professor's had created, it used part of an NPR program about the origins of many of the Christmas traditions we have. Such as where the Santa myth came from, why we decorate with evergreen trees and holly, and that whole mistletoe thing. It was quite entertaining. More interesting too me though was the short talk before that program that talked about the constellations that are in the sky at this time of year. As well as why earth has seasons and other fun facts. One interesting fact was that a projection of the earths equator actually passes right through the center of the constellation Orion's three star belt. Pretty cool science.

    It snowed last night. Only a slight dusting of white stuff, but when the sky cleared up it turned pretty darned cold. Today it is clear this morning, but still on the chilly side. I think it's time to bake some more zucchini cake before heading outdoors later on. Right now though it's time for another cup of hot tea. Oh; below are a couple of pictures of the quiche that I made yesterday. I took the photos with my telephone and actually emailed them to myself. A first for me. I made three quiche so that we would have one for dinner last nigh as well as a couple to keep for this weekend when we are expecting some company. It's always nice to have something handy if someone gets hungry.


 Home Made Quiche. - Dec 17, 2013


All three are the same, having a mixture of pork sausage, onion, garlic and broccoli as well as the normal egg, half an half and cheese mixture. They always come out of the oven all puffy and beautiful and then within minutes they settle down into their more dense looking persona.

The one we sampled tasted pretty good.


No comments:

Post a Comment