Monday, August 4, 2014

   There hasn't been a whole lot going on these past two days.... hence no post from yesterday. They have been very nice days for all of that, just not much going on. I caught up on paperwork and banking stuff that I have let slip over the past couple of weeks and after that was all said and done, there were books and magazines to read, and conversations to have with my friends.
    Today was very much like yesterday. Other than a nice walk outside this morning, there wasn't much going on. George, Marge and I did make a trip over to the local 'Lucile's' restaurant where we met up with their son, his wife and child. Lucile's specializes in 'Cajun' food for breakfast and lunch. There are several of them scattered about the front range of Colorado, with two here in Denver, and the original up in Longmont. The food is always good, and the company this morning was great. I had the 'Cajun Breakfast', made up of red beans and rice with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. Along side was some grits and home fries, and all was accompanied by a huge home made biscuit with strawberry/rhubarb jam. It was all so yummy.
    This afternoon  had me reading more books and magazines, and looking up stuff on the net. My one big accomplishment was opening up the new GPS unit I bought a few weeks back and getting it all set up and ready to go. This unit has lifetime map and traffic downloads so I connected it all up to the computer and downloaded all of the new updates. Otherwise about the only thing accomplished is uploading the photo's you will see below. I took them nearly two months ago while still in Virginia, but it has taken me this long to get them all sorted out and ready to go. They are of one of my favorite places, Mabry Mill, along the 'Blue Ridge Parkway' in Virginia. Enjoy!


Mabry Mill in Virginia - June 12, 2014


Built more than 100 years ago by the Mabry family, this mill could actually do several jobs. First and foremost it was a grist mill where you could take your corn or wheat or other grain and have it ground between two large mill stones in to flour. In addition it could also, by using various drive belts inside the building, mill logs into lumber. If that wasn't enough, more drive belts could be used to drill, sand, re-saw and plane flat all that lumber into finished material.

Looking at the mill from across the mill pond.

Another view.

My girlfriend Rima was with me on that day.

Another view.

An old wagon such as you would use to transport grain to the mill, and flour back home.

The front view of the mill. The center section held the grist mill for grinding grain, while the far left section held the sawmill section. Closest to the camera was the work shop where all of the wood working tools were located.

The rest of the photo's are just more of the mill as I can't seem to pare them down any further.












*

No comments:

Post a Comment