Sunday, October 5, 2014

   Just sitting here in the RV park waiting for a load of wash to finish up. It is one of those chores people who don't travel full time neglect to think about. But even I have to do the laundry once in a while. Even if I do find it to be a dreary chore. Still, one must make the best of it, so I'm sitting up here at the main office with my book, a couple magizines and the computer, just hanging out for about another 45 minutes or so. The good news is that the WiFi signal is much stronger up here closer to the source, so this may actually go out in a timely manner.
   Not much else going on, not since last night and my last post anyway. I had way to much caffeine late in the day yesterday so I found myself still awake at 1:00 in the morning. Turns out that there are only so many old episodes of the 'Beverly Hillbillies' one can watch at any one time.
   Slept late of course and just hung out for awhile around the trailer. The plan is to go over to my niece's place late this evening and have dinner with her and the rest of the family. Haven't ever met her new husband, but he looks nice enough and I've heard nothing but good about him and his son so far. ;)
    I would like to go over into that area a little early, as there is another lighthouse not too far from their place. Alki Point is the only other one in the immediate neighborhood that I haven't taken any pictures of yet.
    Below are a few photo's of the West Point Lighthouse out in Discovery Park that I took a couple of days ago. I remember using this light as a navigational aid way back when I was stationed in the Coast Guard here. It was always a friendly sign that we were getting close to the Seattle waterfront when we had been out on a night call or out training.


West Point Lighthouse in Discovery Park just north of Seattle. Oct 3, 2014





Commissioned in November 1881, the lighthouse is about 7 miles from Seattle and fix's the point where Elliot Bay starts, as well as the south side of the Washington ship canal into Lake Union and Lake Washington.

The lighthouse has been automated now and a new electric light is positioned in front of, and outside of, the tower of the original light. The original 4th order Fresnel lens is still located in the light tower however.

The section of the building on the left use to house the steam powered fog horn. It was on average in operation for 350 hours per year, and in the year 1897 it used up more than 7 tons of coal to keep the fire burning that generated the steam. The fog horn in use now is electronic.

You can see the old and the new lights in this view. The light flashes alternating red and white and on a clear night can be seen for 16 miles.

Puget sound is off in the distance.  

A last look at the old lantern room.

Two family 'Keeper's' quarters. Not sure if these were original or not. They certainly aren't as ornate as most keeper's houses were.








brk*
**

No comments:

Post a Comment