Sunday, October 12, 2014

   Up before 8:00 a.m. this morning, and still trying to figure out why. While it is true that today was a moving day, the trailer was still hooked up to the truck and pretty much everything, but a few clothes and some bath things, were still packed away. But up I was, as were my sister and her hubby. So it seemed like the best thing to do was just go and have some breakfast.
   We went on down to the little local café in the town of Morton, where I had a pretty standard breakfast of eggs, sausage, hash browns and toast. It was good. We spent at least an hour there eating and drinking tea or coffee and talking. The café was pretty full of people in there this morning, it being Sunday and all, as well as the opening weekend for hunting season out here in Washington. But there were a couple of waitresses and a line cook who just took it all in stride.
   We headed back to the house after breakfast and I finished packing up my stuff and putting it in the trailer and truck. In addition to my clothes and the laundry I did yesterday, there was a paper sack of ripe tomatoes that they sent along, as well as a 1/2 pound of bacon that they wanted me to try. So BLT's are certainly on the menu for this next week. Maybe the best thing they gave me though, was a quart jar that Martin gave me, that was full of his sour dough bread starter. It looked all bubbly and alive, and it has a wonderful yeasty, slightly sour smell to it. I can't wait to try it out.... maybe this week sometime.
    The drive down to Portland was pretty uneventful. There was one stop for gas along the way, but otherwise it was a straight shot right to the RV park. The park is located in the NW corner of Portland just off the 1st exit you hit after crossing the Columbia River and entering Oregon. It took about 5 minutes to sign in at the office and then head over to my spot. This time it was a pull through spot, which is always the easiest kind to camp in. I just pulled in, unhitched and hooked up the electrical and water. Had a bit of lunch after that and finished reading a book I had started yesterday.
   By then it was late afternoon and time to head out to do some grocery shopping. I picked up some fresh fruit and veggies for the week and also a rotisserie chicken and a nice warm loaf of bread for dinner. Also found a nice jar with a metal lid latch on it to put the sour dough starter in. I think it is going to work great even though it is made of hard clear plastic rather than glass. I think it will be a lot safer to keep it in the fridge since there is a lot of bouncing that goes on in the trailer that could upset it or allow it to fall out the next time I open the door after moving.
     Ate my chicken and bread this evening as well as a nice ripe pear for dessert. I still need to make up the bed, but I think after that I'll either read or watch a short video of some kind.  Looking forward to the next week and doing some exploring around the area.




brk*

No comments:

Post a Comment