Monday, October 6, 2014

   Yet another wonderful day in the Seattle area. I'm beginning to think I screwed up and I'm really down in southern California and not up here in the northwest in the Emerald City. Anyway, wonderful sunny and warm day, just right for being outside exploring. My last day in the area so I headed for the downtown area and spent a couple hours just walking around. Visited the Pike Street Market first off, a wonderful place full of colorful veggies and fruit from the state of Washington. Then there are the fish mongers with their cases of fresh caught salmon and flounder and all other manner of salt and fresh water fish and crustations. I love the stacks of fresh Dungeness crab, either live or cooked, as well as fresh squid and octopus. It is just a feast for the senses.
   I bought a nice warm round of just baked sour dough bread and then a fresh blueberry-cinnamon roll to eat on my rounds. There are so many things to see including all kinds of local arts and crafts as well as local wines, beers and other alcoholic beverages. It was fun to wander around, but it just made me hungry, so from there it was a walk of a few blocks to bring me down to some of the restaurants along the water front. I ended up in a little place that looked out over the sound and had a nice plate of fresh caught flounder in a garlic and butter sauce and some French fried potato's. It was yummy.
    Tonight I'll be putting things away in the trailer and getting ready to move in the morning. The plan is to head south about 100 miles and meet up with one of my sisters and head out to her place for a few days. It will be fun to see her and her hubby once again as I missed seeing them in Florida last year after they moved from there back to Washington state. Right now though I'm going to finish up these pictures and then get busy. These photo's are from a few days ago on my trip out to Whidbey Island.

Admiralty Point Lighthouse on Whidbey Island, Washington - Oct 3, 2014












First lit on Oct 21, 1861 this lighthouse, in conjunction with the Wilson Point lighthouse on the Olympic Peninsula mainland, this lighthouse showed ships the way through the Admiralty inlet and into the inner Puget Sound. The original wooden structure was later moved so that gun emplacements to protect the waterway during the Spanish American war could be built. In June of 1903 this lighthouse was inaugurated and it flashed out it's red beacon for the next 19 years before being deactivated. As WWll started up the lighthouse was reactivated and it has been in use every since. 

This second Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built in a Spanish style and I think it is one of the prettiest lighthouse designs I have come across so far.


I really like the arched front entrance to the porch as well as the crenellated gable along the front.

Just an additional view that I liked. What first looked like red Spanish tile on the roof actually turned out to be a red standing seam roof. I imagine that the original roof was either cedar wood shingles or actual red clay tile. But this looks pretty good I think.

One last one.







brk*
**

No comments:

Post a Comment