Sunday, February 24, 2013

   It's after 2:00 in the morning already, so this will most likely be a brief post. The weekend dance here in Gainsville started last night and it has taken up a lot of my time when I haven't been sleeping, eating or trying to get my feet to feel like dancing some more.

    Last night was wonderful of course. The dance started at 8:00 with a semi local band  called Deux Francois. About 6 people in it, they played some great tunes that were a lot of fun to dance to. The dance was sold out so about 175 people for the weekend. Not all of them arrived on Friday of course, but that was okay as there was barely room to dance with all the ones who did show up. Five full lines of people for most of the night. It was very aerobic and quite sweaty right from the start. Lot's of people that I know and have danced with before so it was a lot of fun for me.

    The Syncopaths played the 2nd half of the dance it it seemed like the whole dance mood went up another notch or two. Great music and some really fun partners for those dances. By the end of the evening I was pretty wiped out and ready to go back to the trailer for some rest.

    I just hung out at the trailer today catching up on my sleep and taking it easy. Went in this evening and listened to the concert put on by the Syncopaths. They just seem to get better and better every time I see them. The evening dance started then at 8:00 and except for a short intermission half way through it was a solid 3 hours of dancing. Met a few new women dancers this evening as they came up and asked me to dance. I try to dance with who ever asks me first if I don't have some one else in mind for that dance. And I try not to do to much advanced booking unless I really want to dance with someone and I know I'll never get the chance otherwise. But most of the time if I book ahead I end up forgetting about it and that ain't cool either.

    There was an after dance party tonight after we were all done dancing. It was at a couples house close to the dance venue so quite a few people went over and stayed awhile. Lot's of fun talking to  a few people that there never seems to be enough time to talk to otherwise. But now it's late and I really need to pop a couple ibuprofen and get some sleep. The photo's tonight are flower and tree pictures from the St Croix dance week. Enjoy!


Flowers, trees and other plants from St Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands - Feb 2013   
 
 
 
Someone told me that this palm is known as the Christmas Palm because of the red and green fruit that look sort of like ornaments. I just thought it looked neat.

I have no idea what most of these flowers and plants are called, so you are all pretty much on your own.


So the trick question on the island is how many different flower colors does the plant in this photo and the one before come in, as you see dozens of different variations of it all over the place. The answer of course is that there is only one color of flower.... white! The flower is the little tiny bit hidden in amongst all the different colored bracts that the plant comes in.  

It's kind of neat to see all these plants that are indoor house plants back where I come from growing wild outside down here.

The banana tree right next to the dining tent had a stalk of banana's growing on it again this year.

This is a bread fruit tree. It is interesting how the buds can grow right out of the side of a main branch at times. Bread fruit are still quite a staple here on the island.

 

 

This one looks like it might be an orchid when you get really close up, but I don't think it is related at all.

 

 

 

 

 

This is a close up of the flower in the previous photo. I think it looks like something out of a science fiction movie.

Still one of my favorite palms on the island.

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment