Tuesday, June 24, 2014

   Day two on the road already. More than 900 miles away from where I started yesterday morning and I feel like I am starting to get the hang of driving the truck and trailer back again. Sometimes it seems like a miracle that a person can go so far, so fast, without getting on an airplane.
   The driving, while a lot, hasn't been too onerous. I like the time I spend behind a windshield most of the time, and the last two days have been no different. Yesterday it meant going west out the far end of Virginia and then on into Kentucky and then on into Indiana. I spent the night in a rest area just north of the state line there until about 8:30 this morning. Seems as though every semi-truck that parked next to me had their generator on all night.... most likely so they could keep their own air conditioning on so they could sleep. It made it a bit noisy, but I have plenty of ear plugs for just such instances.
   I have been driving pretty steady for most of the rest of the day with stops just for food, gas or to go to the bathroom. I'm somewhere just west of Iowa City, Iowa right now, and hope to find another rest area in the next 60 miles or so.
   It has been fun to watch the scenery go by as I have been driving. I left fields of tobacco and cotton yesterday and have now made it into the land of corn and soybeans. The miles just tick by at about one per minute on average, so there is only a little more than 600 more to go before I pull into Imperial.
   Tomorrow I'll cross the Missouri River at Council Bluffs and remember the times that I have canoed below on the Missouri River on my way to St Louis. Hope to be in Western Nebraska by the end of the day tomorrow, but I think I'll take it a little easier and maybe stop a little more often. Right now though I need to get back on the road while the sun is still out and it isn't raining.




*

No comments:

Post a Comment