Tuesday, September 30, 2014

   A very full day of travel for me today. Woke up to cloudy and rainy skies in Boise, so there wasn't much incentive to actually get moving this morning. However, it was time to get on the road again, so I was up and about by 7:30. Took enough time to take a good shower and wash the dishes, as well as get some breakfast of course. It still took some time to get all packed up and ready to go though, so it was near 10:00 when I finally got back on the highway.
   The cloudy day actually made it nice to drive under and it even broke into some sunny portions by midday. Out through the great potato fields of western Idaho and eastern Oregon, by the time I hit the Blue Mountains near La Grange Oregon the sun was shining through the broken clouds and turned the light into this beautiful warm yellow. In the distance I could see rain and snow storms up on the peaks of the surrounding mountains. The dark blue and greys contrasted wonderfully with the sunny white clouds. I'm not sure why the lighting at this time of year is so different, it may be because the rays have a longer way to pass through the earths atmosphere or some such phenomenon, but I don't really care, I just like it no matter what the reason.
    There were only a couple of hours spent in Oregon before the highway turned north and took me into Washington state. It was fun to cross the mighty Columbia River again at the town of Umatilla and head north towards Yakima. Along the way were tens of thousands of acres of vineyards and apple orchards along the hillsides and in the valleys. Their dark green color made for a real contrast against the brown backdrop of the surrounding hills.  
   Right now I'm sitting in a Taco Bell somewhere around Pasco. The truck and trailer are parked right next door in a small little rest area at the edge of town. I'm pretty sure I'm home for the rest of the night. I'll sleep here for a few hours and then be on my way in the early morning. Still a little less than 300 miles left to go till Seattle. I'm not sure yet if it will be one more or two more days to get in to the RV park I plan to land in. Will figure it all out sometime tomorrow. Right now though it's time to go get some rest.


brk*

No comments:

Post a Comment