Tuesday, September 23, 2014

    Pretty busy day for me, both yesterday and today. Yesterday I took off around 1:00 in the afternoon and drove south from Denver to the city of Pueblo. Usually only a 2 hour drive from here, yesterday it took nearly 3 because of traffic.
    I still arrived at my destination in plenty of time however, my destination being one of my brothers home. He and his wife and two of their grand kids and I were all on our way over to the 60th wedding celebration of one of my aunts on my mothers side. My aunt Marilyn and uncle Chuck had invited nearly 100 people to help them celebrate, and I wanted to go not only to see them, but possibly some other family members that I hadn't seen any many years.
    Turns out that I really only knew my 3 first cousins, their 3 sons, but I did get to meet some of their spouses and kids and even grand kids. They had a very nice dinner and a slide show one of my cousins put together, as well as a nice cake to take the place of the wedding cake that they never had. All in all it was a fun time seeing every one, and I am happy that I got to take part in their celebration.
    Of course it did mean driving home pretty late in the dark and in the rain, but that really wasn't much of a problem for me. The good news is that my friends, Tom and Donna, had made it home safe and sound from their mini vacation down in Santa Fe. I think all of the critters, but especially the dog, were happy to see them get home.
    I had a nice brunch with my friends Marge and George today. Meeting over at one of our favorite restaurants, Lucile's. I had their Cajun breakfast of poached eggs in hollandaise sauce over red beans and rice. With a helping of grits and home fries as well as a monster biscuit with strawberry-rhubarb jam, it filled me up and then some.
    Spent most of the rest of the day just running errands. Had to pick up a box so I could Fed-ex  some stuff to a sister in Nebraska. Also had to find some new shoes that would fit me. I threw 3 pairs of well worn tennis shoes out today after realizing that there would be no more river trips to wear them on this year.
    After getting the package wrapped and then mailed off, I stopped by a local store that sells new and used books, cd's and dvd's to see if they had any other used Lee Child novels that I hadn't read yet. No luck in that quest, but I did finally find an old Joan Baez cd I had been looking for. Really what I wanted was just the song 'Diamonds and Rust', but I was happy to get a bunch of her other greatest hits on it as well. So really it was a pretty successful find.
   Finished the evening by getting a couple photo's worked up so they could be posted.  The subject of most of the pictures are of blown glass sculptures made by Dale Chihuly which have been on display in Denver. These were actually taken at the Denver Botanical Gardens in late August, even before my canoe trip in Utah. But there was no hurry for me to get them out prior to dealing with all of the ones from that trip. It should also be noted that my girlfriend Rima joined me on this visit to the gardens, and we both had a fun time checking out all of the beautiful displays. I hope you all enjoy them too. Here are the first set, the ones I got done tonight. There will be more tomorrow hopefully.




Dale Chihuly Glass at Denver Botanical Gardens - Aug 2014










The first sculpture you see as you enter the gardens.
















Okay... so who out there didn't immediately think about bee butt's?





 




 Just amazing.




 




 




My girlfriend Rima.




An amazing number of different styles, colors and sizes scattered throughout the gardens.




 




 





I love the color of the glass in this arrangement. More to come tomorrow.

































brk*

No comments:

Post a Comment