Friday, September 26, 2014

   Had a pretty good nights sleep in the rest area last night. Often times it is interrupted by all the trucks with their generators running all night. But this particular rest area in western Wyoming had a separate area just for RV people pulling trailers. So it was reasonably quiet for my first night back in the trailer.
   Really a pretty easy day of driving also. Had breakfast in Rock Springs and then continued west past Green River and on towards Fort Bridger. Decided this time to actually get off the interstate and go see Fort Bridger since every time I've passed by it before I've always just gone on by with one excuse or another. So I took the time to drive the mile or so off the road and pull into the State Park there in town.
   I ended up spending several hours wandering around the grounds there. It was interesting to learn that while the area started out as a fur trading post started by the mountain men Jim Bridger and Louis Vasquez, it later went on to become the 2nd most important army post in the west after Fort Larimie.
   Sited on the Black Fork of the Green River, it was located such that the Oregon Trail, the Morman Trail, the Pony Express, the Overland Stage and several other freight trails and later, the railroad, either ran right through it, or within a mile or two of it. It was also located on the travel routes of the original Natives in the area, which is why Bridger and Vasquez built it where they did.
   There were only a few of the original fort buildings left to see, and Bridger's Fort was a reconstruction, but it was still fun to wander around and think about what it must of been like to be in that area between 1843 and the early 1900's.
    Once I was done there it was back in the truck for some more driving. Stopped later on in Evanston for lunch and then some grocery shopping. My fridge in the trailer finally decided to start working after I had turned the propane off during storage. There is always a delay in getting it to start working again once the propane is turned back. Probably because it takes a bit to get the gas to refill the line and purge all the air out after sitting empty for all that time. But it always starts up again eventually, if you are patient enough.
    Spent the late part of the afternoon driving out of Wyoming and on into Utah. I always like that section of highway where it changes from I-80 to I-84. At that point it dives into a nice canyon that follows a river to the NW towards Ogden Utah. At that time of the afternoon/evening it is beautiful as the shadows come down off of the mountains on both sides of the highway. Of course it did mean getting into Ogden right in the middle of the Friday afternoon rush hour, but thankfully for me I was heading in the right direction to keep the traffic to a minimum.
   Once out of that town it was just a short hop until I found myself in Idaho. From there the towns became farther apart for a while and fewer and fewer homes and ranches along the way. I spent a couple of hours dodging around huge rain storms that seem to be coming in from somewhere west of here. Not sure if it is the SW, the NW or just West of here, but it does seem to be bringing in a whole lot of rain. Though I am even hearing about the possibility of snow up on the tops of some of the surrounding mountains. Brrrr!
    I'm in Twin Falls Idaho right now and need to get back on the road for a few more miles before I call it a day. There is suppose to be a Rest Area about 6 miles west of here, so I need to pack up and be gone. Hope to be in Boise by late tomorrow morning. Looking forward to a couple days off from driving and the hope of seeing my nephew and his family a little bit.






brk*

2 comments:

  1. I am a friend of Gray and Willie Patillo in Sacramento. Stumbled into your blog by way of their Facebook pages, and have followed your travels for about the last 6-9 months or so. I think I'm kind of living vicariously through your posts! LOL! You're quite a descriptive writer, and I enjoy them very much. Keep travelling, and I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Linda. It's always fun to learn that there are actually people out there reading what I write. So for the delay in getting back to you.... you would think that after a couple of years I would understand how this website works.... but I don't.

    ReplyDelete