Tuesday, March 8, 2016

   Did manage to move the trailer yesterday and am now happily set up in Crooked River State Park, down in the SE corner of Georgia.  It wasn't a very hurried move yesterday, as it was only 122 miles to the new park. Even with that though, I still took more than 4 hours to drive there.
   But first I had to pack everything up and get hitched to the truck. Most of that went without any trouble, but when I got to the part where I moved the 'Slide', that part of the trailer that moves in and out, only one side of it wanted to move. Looking at it from underneath the slide portion of the trailer I discovered that there are two separate tracks that move in and out under the trailer, one on either end of the slide. It appears likely that one was no longer working so it was a matter of physically pushing one end of the slide in as I ran the mechanism on the other end in a little bit at a time.
   Otherwise, the only other problem was in keeping the local pet chicken, Henrietta, from jumping into the truck or trailer every time I wasn't looking. She never made it into the truck, but I did have to scooch her out of the storage lockers at the front of the trailer a couple of times.  I'm really going to miss having her around.
   It was finally done however and I was on my way by 11:00. Got into the state park around 3:30 and had a nice camp site picked out and the trailer set up less than an hour later. Of course the slide out gave me even more trouble this time, but it did finally extend out nearly the whole way. After looking a little closer to the mechanism it seems that the drive shaft that runs from the rear powered track to the front non powered track has stopped working. There is a solid shaft of square tubing that spans between the two and this is attached at each end to a gear mechanism that runs on a slotted rail and thereby moves the slide in and out. It looks to me like there was once a solid shear pin that hooked this shaft to the rear powered gear set, but that is now missing and that shaft just sits there instead of spinning in concert with the rear one. I am not sure of that yet, it is going to take me getting down there under the trailer with some tools before I can be sure if that is the problem or not, but with any luck the only thing needed will be a new shear pin, essentially and cotter pin, installed in the shaft, and then running the trailer slide in and out a couple of times.
    For today though, it was time too go out and do some exploring of this new area. It turns out that there is a huge submarine base right here along the area where the Crooked River hits the ocean. The base is huge on the map and is, of course, off limits to any one not in the Navy. But I did find that there was an actual Submarine Museum in downtown St Marys.
  The town of St Marys itself is worth going down and strolling around, quaint old homes and small businesses along the street along the river. The Museum is on the small side and turns out to be one mans dream of bringing together as much history of submarines as possible. At $5 it is well worth going in and taking a look. Hundreds of models of past submarines from the original 'Turtle' and 'Hunley' right up to modern day nuclear powered Tridents. Most of the stuff in there only makes sense if you were once a submariner, but it was still interesting enough to waste a couple of hours at.
  I'm currently at a local fast food joint at the moment since there is no WiFi out at the state park. I want to get out of here and back to the trailer before the sun goes down though so that I can go and watch the sunset from the shore line. So that's about it for today.

*brk

No comments:

Post a Comment