Friday, March 11, 2016

   Just a quick update for today as there wasn't all that much planned activity to talk about. I was up pretty early this morning for some reason, not sure why, and it certainly isn't a bad thing, but it did mean that I could get out and about sooner than usual.
   So I hit the highway going south around 10:30 with the idea of checking out the maritime museum my GPS, Emma, told me was located somewhere around downtown Jacksonville. Emma took me right to the parking lot for the museum, but upon closer inspection, it was actually the 'Museum of Science and History, MOSH, and not the maritime museum. I asked about that once inside of course, and the lady there told me that there had been a maritime museum a few years back but that it had closed and was in the process of organizing its displays and looking for a new site to open back up in. So for two days in a row I have missed out on the main event I had planned for. Oh well!
  Like yesterday though it wasn't a complete failure by any means, as the MOSH was a perfectly good substitute, having some nice displays on local land and marine animals, history of the area and a whole section of hands on learning displays with brain teasers and experiments. It turns out that I'm pretty good at the brain teasers, but then again, so were most of the 8 year old kids that were there.
   I spent several hours at the museum and then walked along the waterfront park there on the St Johns River. A beautiful waterfront with a lot of small parks interspersed with little restaurants and stores. It was a very nice way to spend a couple of hours.
    I'm about finished up here at a local fast food joint and then I'll head back to the trailer and state park. There are still a couple more trails out there to walk if it isn't too hot and humid this afternoon. Also need to do some more research on other things to do and see around this area. It's a big place and I'm sure there are plenty more things to see.

*brk

No comments:

Post a Comment