Wednesday, March 9, 2016

   Today was just a nice day to not do a whole lot.... so that is what I did.... or didn't do, or.... damn, now even I'm confused.
  
    So I slept in late and once up and showered had a nice long breakfast while reading  a new issue of Discover magazine. Good articles on space and medical breakthrough's, most of which I have already forgotten, but which were really interesting and will most likely get read at least one more time later on.
   I took a nice hike down along the Crooked River and saw lots of birds and other wildlife along the way before ending up at the parks Nature Center where they had lots of exhibits of some of the local flora and fauna. Of interest to me were all the different turtle and snake species they had. It appeared likely that it was going to be feeding time in a little while, as many of the specimens were very active when ever I came up next to their cage or tank. In particular one little king snake came all the way out of it's hidey-hole when I held my finger up to the case. When he got close enough a sudden movement on my part was enough for him to strike at it. I'm glad there was a good pane of glass between it and me.
    Ate lunch there at the trailer and then got to work trying to figure out what was wrong with the slide-out mechanism on my trailer. Only one side of the slide-out was actually moving when I pushed the button, so it seemed likely there was a problem with the connection between the powered side and the non powered. After getting a tarp out of the back of the truck, and a big ole crescent wrench from the tool box, it was time to climb under the trailer and see what was going on. With the wrench it was easy to hook on to the square tubing that ran from the powered side over to the non powered and turn it a couple of times. It became obvious that it should be turning in tangent with the powered side, so I just kept turning it until I could see a set of holes in the tubing were lining up with a round metal stud coming out of the gear mechanism on the powered side. The hole seemed big enough for a small bolt or cotter key, but the first thing I laid eyes on was a spare clevis pin that my brother in law had given me last year. So once more it was time to crawl under the trailer and push that pin into place. When the switch was thrown from inside the trailer the slide moved in and out just like it was suppose too. So hurrah for me for figuring it out without having to take it into some kind of mechanic. Sometimes I surprise even myself.
    Just about finished up here for the evening. Tomorrow I have a choice of several museums and historical sites to go visit so it should be a nice full day. So I'll just close off now and head on back to the trailer for a quiet night of reading. Ciao!

*brk

No comments:

Post a Comment