Monday, July 14, 2014

    Last night and today have been pretty quiet really. It's been nice to just be able to relax and do what ever I want again. Mostly that has meant not doing much of anything..... and that's alright also. Last night, while the rain fell on the trailer roof, I hung out inside and perused a couple of magazines and read a book. It was a wonderfully cool night for sleeping and I slept deeply enough that I didn't wake up right off when it started to rain again during the night. It made for a slightly damp part of the bed right under the open vent, but the bed is big enough that I simply curled around that part until morning arrived and it was time to get up.
    Nice relaxing morning with a slow breakfast while I read a couple of chapters of a book I started last night. It is one of the Hornblower series of books by C.S. Forrester and is all about the sea war that was waged in the late 1700's, mostly between England, France and Spain, in and around Europe and into the Mediterranean Sea and even out to parts of the Pacific Ocean.
   Once breakfast was over it was time to get moving. Today I decided to head south to the town of Alliance again. The art museum there in town is closed on Mondays, which I knew, but I did get a chance to visit the 'Knight Museum' there which was open. Basically a small museum that talks about one family, the Knights, who homesteaded in the area in the late 1800's. But it also has a lot of other interesting information concerning the Native Americans who were in the area when they arrived as well as how everyday life on a ranch or farm at that time was done. Lots of old time tools, wagons, machinery etc., most of which I now know what they are. So nothing new in any of that for me. Still fun to go look at all that stuff anyway.
    Will be here in town just a little bit longer and then I'll head back to camp for the rest of the afternoon. Will probably go out for a drive this evening and see if the past couple of days of rain have made the animals more likely or less likely to come out into the open fields and meadows.
   Below are a couple photo's from the trip to the Black Hills the other day. Something about old wooden buildings, especially barns and out buildings really appeal to me. These are right along one of the highways and I remember taking a picture of them more than 20 years ago..... they really don't seem to have changed much in all that time.

Wooden Barns and Out Building in the
Black Hills of South Dakota - July 2014






Not much difference in this shot and the previous one. But just enough that I wanted to add it in to this set.









*

No comments:

Post a Comment