Friday, November 21, 2014

   Managed to make it into the Sacramento area yesterday afternoon having spent the proceeding night in another rest area north of the city on I-5. I sat in a McDonalds for most of yesterdays morning while the rain continued to come down and I waited for an RV campground to get back to me and let me know if they had a space for the trailer. They finally called me back up around 1:00 p.m. and let me know they had plenty of room... I just needed to get there and get set up.
    It was rush hour when I finally got back into the city. Six lanes of traffic with everyone trying to get home after a long day of work. It is always interesting towing the trailer through  such a maelstrom of craziness.  I still only missed one turn off during my run in. I just couldn't make it across 3 lanes of traffic in time to make the turnoff, but it only meant going down to the next exit and turning around. It was still a hassle though.
   I did finally make it into the campground and found a spot to set up in. I am on a bank about 30 feet above the Sacramento River, so it is quite scenic. Hard to believe it is less than 5 miles to the downtown area. It isn't the most pristine camp I have ever been in, but it should work just fine for a couple of days.
    I had to block the trailer up on some 2x's to level it up, as well as use some chocks to keep it from running down hill when I unhitched. Once done with that I got the hot water heater and electric heaters turned on. Felt pretty good to get a hot shower and clean up a little bit. It was important as one of my close cousins and her husband had asked me over to dinner with them last night.
   Spent several pleasant hours over with them drinking some good wine, eating some good food and having some great conversation. A very enjoyable evening all in all.
   Off to see the California Railroad Museum next. I haven't been here for more than 20 years so I am very excited about going again. As I recall, not only was this a really nice railroad museum, but in general it was one of the best museums of any kind I have ever visited. It is very exciting so I need to get going.
 
Throw Back Thursday




I am also on Face Book a lot and recently a lot of people have been loading up old photo's of themselves on what has become known as 'Throw Back Thursday' of TBT for short. I don't always post something, but I thought it might be nice to actually post a picture of myself, even if it is more than 40 years old.... This one is from 1974-1976 I believe. This is based on the fact that there is no beard in this picture, something I started growing when I joined the U.S. Coast Guard in 1977. I think this one is appropriate for this week when so many of my friends up in the north and eastern states are dealing with record snowfall. Please stay safe and warm everyone.






brk*

No comments:

Post a Comment