Saturday, January 16, 2016

   Had a great time at the contra dance last night. It was the first night of the 3 day contra dance, Orange Blossom Ball, in Daytona Beach Florida. The contra dancing started at 8:00 p.m. and ran until 11:45. I managed to dance the whole first half of the dance and then a little more than half of the second half before my feet finally said it was enough.
   Lots of friends from all over the place to talk too and dance with. There were several people from Colorado which was a pleasant surprise, but also friends from up north as well as many from here in the Florida area that I hadn't seen for 10+ months.
   My left leg actually held out pretty well over all, so maybe it is finally on the mend for good. I have been suffering from some nerve damage, Sciatica of some sort, which has made it difficult to walk, let alone dance much. But it was feeling okay this morning though my feet were still a little sore.
   One of my biggest problems down here is dealing with my allergies. It seems that I am still allergic to pretty much everything in one way or another, and there is always something down here blooming or creating mold or dust, so I am constantly stuffed up. But so far basic over the counter allergy pills seems to be able to handle it okay.
    It was late when I got back to the trailer and into bed. This morning was nice a clear and just a bit on the cool side. I hung out at the trailer and in the park until just after noon before taking off toward the dance. Spent some time exploring Old Town Daytona and am now sitting in a Micky D's checking email and such. The next round of dancing for me starts at 8:00 again this evening and I am looking forward to some more good hot dancing with friends old and new.
   

 Contra Dance Week in Ely England - April 7 to 16 - Part V

One day early on in our week in Ely, Rima and I took the time to tour and climb the West Tower. More than 220 steps to the top, I was glad that we were at near sea level and that I had someone older than me in front of me on the way up. Once on top however.... what a view.

Some of the other tour participants.

They were working on both the interior and exterior of the tower while we were there. This guy didn't seem to have any trouble with the 215 foot height.

Rima.

Looking out at the Octagon Tower in the distance.

Another view showing all of the scaffolding outside the Lady Chapel.

Looking out towards the school grounds. The long row of red roof in the middle of the picture is the building where Rima and I are staying. In the distance, at right angles, is the Tithing Barn where we had our meals with the Porta Gate being the two story+ building just to the right of the courtyard.




Looking down at the Bishops Residence and it's formal gardens on the left.

I found this interesting in that there was no actual platform on top of this tower, but just sloping sides to channel rainwater to a central drain.

I like this view from the back side of the Cathedral.



These buildings on the right housed those students involved with the choir or music program there in the church. It is evidently easier to rise before daylight and make it into morning services if you sleep closer in.


A good view of the 'Flying Buttresses' used to hold up the exterior walls of the nave. One of the few things I remember from high school Mid-evil history class. Dr. Ton would be so proud.

Carved stone spires on top of the flying buttresses.







brk*

No comments:

Post a Comment