Wednesday, January 13, 2016

   Second day back and so far so good. After picking up a few much needed groceries last night it was back to the trailer to unpack and have a late night snack before finally packing it in for the night. I must say that the new bed actually feels pretty good over all. I put clean sheets and bedding on, stacked up some of my pillows and plugged my CPAP machine into the outlet that is conveniently located right next to the head of the bed. I am finding that my sleep is much better, and interrupted less, when I have that thing strapped to my face. Even if it does make me sound a little bit like Darth Vader.
    My first shower in the new trailer this morning. One of the main reasons for getting this new one was because the old shower was so puny and awkward. The new one is much nicer even if it isn't as big as one would like. It still got the job done and the hot water felt pretty good after two days with out any.
    Had some cereal and a muffin for breakfast and then got busy doing some additional repairs around the place. Got the DVR player connected up to the TV with the new hdmi cable I got yesterday. It is going to be nice to be able to watch movies on a screen that is a good double the size of my computer.
   Also pulled the micro-wave out of it's little cubby hole and took off the brackets that hold it in place. I did manage to get it to turn on again, but it would then blank out again without doing anything else. I had hoped there would be a simple fix like replacing a burnt out fuse, but it looks like it is dead for good. So part of today's errands was to go out and find a new replacement for it. There is no problem finding tons of different ones to choose from in the stores, but finding one that is a close match to the size of the brackets and hole is a whole nother thing.
    Meanwhile, back at the trailer I tried fixing a few of the lights that were still out. The entry light near the rear door, as well as the one that lights the stairs there were easy to fix by just replacing the old bulbs with some new LED ones. Some of the others also needed new bulbs, but it is more a problem with the light fixture itself and the switch on it that doesn't work very well. I got them all working again, but it may mean whacking them a time or two every time I want them to work.
    Having worked through the morning it was time to go see about taking in one of the many recent movie offerings that are on the big screen. I settled finally on seeing the new Leonardo DiCaprio movie, Revetment, the one that was suppose to be based on the true life story of Mountain Man Hugh Glass. An interesting, and very violent, movie which was enjoyable in a 'Boys Night Out at the Movies' kind of way. But I have to say that, other than the bear attack and being left for dead by his companions, I don't think much else was very true. One thing I had a real hard time with is that throughout the movie a band of Arickaree (Ree's) Indians were chasing here and there throughout the mountains. The main problem is that they were a plains Indian tribe usually found along the banks of the Missouri in what is now S. Dakota, Nebraska and Iowa. Oh well!
     As I said before I needed to find a new micro-wave and finally found one in Target which I hope will work okay. I will most likely have to shim it in a couple of places, but I will figure out a way to make it work.
    I also picked up a couple new rugs for the area in the bathroom and the kitchen where there is only linoleum right now and a small wastebasket for the bathroom. As well as a new mop so everything can be cleaned up once in a while.
    About the only thing left for the day is to finish up here and then head on back to the trailer. I hope to get a few more things fixed up tomorrow and slowly get everything into it's own place once and for all.
    Right now though, enjoy another batch of pictures from my trip to Ely England last spring. This is the second set so you will have to go back to yesterday to see the rest of them. 



  Contra Dance Week in Ely England - April 7 to 16 - Part II


All of the photo's in this batch are of our first afternoon in Ely, when our leader took us on a short tour of the town and surrounding area.

A view of the Cathedral in Ely. Started in 672 as a local abbey, the area has been occupied by several different structures since then. The current structure is built of local stone starting in 1079.

The Abbey, and later church grounds grew as the church became more important. The Kings School, where we were staying, and dancing, is part of the original grounds. These horses seem to be part of those grounds.

A new baby draft horse. Can there be much else that is cuter.

Another new baby.

What appears to be an 'ancient' tree, but which is likely to be 'only' a few hundred years old.

The local river just down the hill from the school. We would spend some time wandering around this area over the next few days as well as taking a short trip on one of the canal boats.

A rope bumper on one of the local canal boats.

We got to England just in time for the first signs of spring to start showing up. There were many of these trees in bloom around the area.


 A view of some of the work being done on the church.

I never get tired of looking at the detail in the stone work on old buildings. It still makes me wonder at the workers who had spent time 'carving' out each detail in stone.

Looking up and up at the top of the west tower. A total of 215'.

A view of the nave. More than 250' long it is one of the longest in Great Britain.


Looking at the 'Lantern' or Octagon Tower.

 One last view for today.







brk*

No comments:

Post a Comment