Wednesday, January 20, 2016

   Was up early this morning in preparation for a move across the state. I had a pleasant hour or so to make and eat some breakfast before starting to pack up everything and hook up. As usual preparation starts indoors with putting away everything that came out during my stay and that lived either on the counters or the dining table. It isn't really all that much stuff but things like the toaster and electric kettle all have to be stowed somewhere they won't go flying while I am on the road. There are also things to deal with in the bathroom and of course the dirty clothes have to be picked up and stowed in the basket under the bed. Drains are closed, lights turned off, vents and windows cranked closed and the slide stowed inboard before heading outside to actually hook the trailer up.
   I have actually gotten pretty good at lining the hitch ball up with the hitch socket after all of these years of doing it. Still; it often takes a half dozen or more tries before the ball settles right below the hitch socket and I can lower the trailer down onto it. From there it is a matter of hooking up both sway bars, one on each side of the hitch, as well as both load leveler bars, also one on each side. From there you can plug the electrical connection into the truck and hook on the break away chains before lowering the front trailer leg.
   One thing I am really noticing is how much higher this new trailer sits than the old one did. It becomes very apparent when cranking one of the four scissor jacks up or down. These are jacks at each corner of the trailer that are lowered down to the ground and help support the trailer while it is parked so that it doesn't bounce around so much. They now take so long and are such an effort that I am seriously contemplating breaking out one of my battery operated drills, along with an appropriate sized socket, to run them up and down for me. I'll have to think about that though as it isn't like I get too much exercise as it is.
     It was nearly 10:00 a.m. by the time the trailer was all hooked up and had driven over to the dump site to empty the tanks. It was the first time using some brand new hoses and fittings for that chore, and while it may sound strange to rhapsodize about such things, it was so nice to not have any leaks or other accidents while dealing with that necessary part of the whole RVing experianace.
   The GPS took me south through Apopka and Winter Green Florida and then on to I-4 heading west bound. It was only 175+ miles to Fort Desoto on the west coast of Florida, so it only took a little more than 3 hours to get there. No problems with the truck or the trailer this time, I think the truck may have already readjusted it's settings to deal with the lower altitude so it appears likely that the truck even got better gas mileage this time.
   I pulled into the campground office there at Fort Desoto and had my paperwork done in less than 10 minutes. Even with reserving more than 10 months ago all of the water side sites were gone long before that. I have an interior pull through site which works just fine for me. I'm still less than 100 yds away from the water on two sides of me and only a short walk from the bike path that goes all over the island. I wish I had my bike with me on this trip, but it got left at Rima's when the hitch fitting my brother-in-law welded up for me several years ago wouldn't fit on the new trailer bumper. I have since then found a work around for it, but since the bike and bike rack are still in Virginia it doesn't really do me much good at the moment.
   Setting the trailer up didn't take long this time as the routine is starting to come back already. I opened it all up once it was secured and then had a quick bite of lunch and read my latest book for awhile. I'm currently out and about running a few errands. I needed to pick up some milk and bananas and check on some banking and other paperwork stuff. Am going to head back to the trailer in a little bit and settle in for the rest of the night. I have the first 3 Star War movies to watch when I have some time so it may be time for one of those tonight.


Contra Dance Week in Ely England - April 7 to 16 - Part IX



Looking down one of the local streets near the school.

There are many buildings located within the cathedral grounds including this one which is the Bishops private chapel. We got a chance to visit it one day when one of the locals lead a tour of it for some of the people there for the dance.

The main Ely Cathedral is always there in the background and it always presented a new view or a different light as we walked around.

Part of the Bishops Residence.

Beautiful stone and brick work.

More of the Bishops residence.

The current information center for the town of Ely, this building was once the home of Oliver Cromwell. (Wikipedia - Oliver Cromwell was an English military and political leader and later Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland. Cromwell was one of the signatories of King Charles I's death warrant in 1649, and, as a member of the Rump Parliament (1649–53), he dominated the short-lived Commonwealth of England. He was selected to take command of the English campaign in Ireland in 1649–50. Cromwell's forces defeated the Confederate and Royalist coalition in Ireland and occupied the country – bringing to an end the Irish Confederate Wars.)

The Old Fire Engine House is now a delightful little café.








brk*

No comments:

Post a Comment