Thursday, January 21, 2016

    Spent a busy morning working in and around the trailer. I have been spending some time inside putting up photos that had been hanging on the face of my cabinets in my old trailer. One of my sisters helped peel them off and the ones that are still usable are now being taped onto my new cabinet faces. It is kind of fun to look at pictures of my family and friends doing different activities. There are still a lot more to deal with, but at least it is a start.
    On the outside I started by installing the new vent cap I got a couple of days ago onto the existing refrigerator vent. It went pretty well even though I managed to drill a couple of small holes in the wrong place. Lucky for me caulking is good for all kinds of things, so I just filled them back in. Once finished with that job I moved on to spraying on some roofing sealant around several of my other roof vents. Turns out that 'Rustoleum' sells a spray product that go's on thick and seals cracks and holes up to a 1//8" wide. I had enough spray to do 2 regular roof vents as well as the one on the skylight over the shower and the base of the refrigerator vent.
    I have been noticing, as I'm driving down the highway, that the siding material of the trailer has ballooned out near the front edge. So far it hasn't been much of a problem, but looking close shows that the caulking along that seam has all broken apart. So I thought some reinforcing of that area wouldn't be such a bad idea. With that in mind I drilled some small diameter holes along that seam every 4" from top to bottom, dabbed in a small amount of clear caulking and then screwed in a 1" long #8 screw with a small fender washer to hold it all in place. It seemed to work well on the one side of the trailer that I tried it on, but then I ran out of hardware to finish it all up. It also opened that seam up a bit so now there is plenty of room to get in there and squirt a nice bead of caulking.
    For now though that ended all the stuff I could accomplish today, so after cleaning up and putting tools and such away, it was off to the hardware store for more supplies. Picked up plenty of screws and washers this time, plenty to finish up the other side and then some. Also got two more cans of spray roofing sealant to finish up the rest of the vents. I'm hoping now that it will be nice again for at least one more day so I can get it all done.
    I did also go out a take a short walk along the water this morning. It is so nice to be warm but it was also nice to see all of the really neat birds that call this area home. Not only were there plenty of standard blue herons, cormorants and white ibis's, but there were also a couple of rosy spoonbills and several ospreys.
   Right now though I want to finish this up and head back to camp for another walk. With any luck the camp store will still be open and I can get a hand packed ice cream cone there and sit on a bench overlooking the water. Sometimes life is just really, really good.   

Contra Dance Week in Ely England - April 7 to 16 - Part X



As part of our "duties" Rima and I were asked to lead a couple of outings to various local attractions. Mostly that meant collecting money and counting heads there and back. In this case we were going to take one of the local canal boats to a pub about 5 miles, 6K, away from town. It was a bit cloudy and cool that day, but then that is pretty much normal and didn't keep any of us from having a good time.

On our way to the 'Miles From Anywhere' pub for lunch and drinks.

Beautiful scenery and boats along the way. I really hope to spend some time boating on some of the canals around the country. Maybe next time we go over there to dance.

Looking through an entry into a small harbor off the main river/canal.

One of the many swans we saw along the river.

A closer look at a swan. There were many of these located in town and all along the river/canal.

Some of the many canal boat moored along the edges of the river. Most appear to be used as permanent homes for people living in the area. Many are evidently for rent for from a few days to months at a time.

Our destination, The 'Miles
from Anywhere' pub. It turned out to be pretty modern over all, but it did seem to be out in the middle of nowhere. I imagine it did a great business in the summer when boaters could come up and moor alongside.

Our group for the day. As I remember the beer was cold and good and my meal was excellent, even if I can't remember what it was.

Another swan on the way back to town.

Coming back into town.

Docked and ready to disembark.


 brk*









No comments:

Post a Comment