Monday, April 15, 2013

    Doing better today as life gets back to normal a bit more. It has actually been a pretty good couple of days now as thoughts of my mom's death sink in and life still continues. Part of me grieves intensely while another part watches as though from a distance and wonders why all of this drama over a natural process that we will all experience at some point in life. There is also yet another part that looks askance at any least amount of joy that might be felt these days and a bit of guilt for actually going out and enjoying life and having fun. So after a bit more reflection I'm going to lean a bit more toward getting on with life and enjoying what it has to give while I still have a chance to do it.

    So yesterday was a good start to it having gone in to town for the last few hours of the contra dance there. Some wonderful dancing to do with lovely and lively partners all to the music of the 'Groove Mongers' and the calling of Gaye. I have several pretty good friends here in the area also so it was nice to spend some time talking to them.

     One of my friends, Brenda, volunteered to take me on a tour of some of the city which I readily agreed to. Lot's of old history in this city so we went by many of the Pre Civil War buildings and homes. Even saw the state capital and governor's mansion, where I found out, they shot many of the scenes from this years block buster movie 'Lincoln'. We also spent an hour or so at a local bar replenishing calories and fluids with some wonderful local brews and a plate of calamari. Not to much to eat or drink though as she promised me a visit to her nephews new barbecue place later on for some outstanding ribs and brisket. They were all of that of course, plus the cornbread and collard greens..... well there weren't any left overs to take back to the trailer on my plate. So thanks to her for a wonderful afternoon and evening of just goofing off.

    Got a couple of calls from friends and family back in Colorado also. Looks like mom's funeral will be on Thursday so I spent some time last night getting reservations for first, Esmerelda down at a state park just north of Raleigh NC and then plane and car reservations for myself out of the Raleigh/Durham airport. So right now it looks like I'll break camp tomorrow morning, a day ahead of schedule, and head down to Fall River State Park and set up there for 10 days. Then on Wednesday I'll fly out of there and head for Denver, getting there sometime in the early afternoon.

    Will stay with my friends George and Marge for the week I Will be there and then fly back on the 'Red Eye' flight on the following Tuesday. So in the meantime I did laundry this morning and started packing my bag again. I will end up having to miss the Bug Stomp dance this next weekend down in Charleston, but that is okay. There will be several more dances to do in the next several weeks.

   Guess I better get back to it now. Need to clean out the fridge a bit more and pick up and put away a few more things so tomorrows move goes smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment