Tuesday, April 16, 2013

     Up early, packed up and on the road by 10:00. Today's destination was only 150 miles away in N. Carolina. Only a couple of hours to get there so I took my time and dawdled along the way a bit. Even then I made it into Falls Lake State Park before 4:00. Nobody there to check me in so I just went over to my site and set the trailer up. Very nice park with more than 200 campsites, but it seemed like there were only a couple other campers in the whole place.

    Got Esmerelda all set up and attached to shore power and water before heading back up to the front gate to see about checking in. Lucky for me there was an actual person in the front hut and they actually had my reservation and all the appropriate paper work ready for me when I got there. That was pretty nice, but what wasn't was finding out that the front gate to the campground, the whole campground, would be closed and locked every night at 8:00 p.m. and not unlocked until 7:30 a.m. So that was a bummer since my flight out tomorrow is at 7:05 in the morning. Now you would think there would be some mention of this right up front somewhere before you actually go and make a 10 day reservation, but no, not a mention of it anywhere. So now my plan was all screwed up and there was only a little bit of time to fall back and figure something else out.

     In the end it was just a matter of packing up the rest of my bag for next week, turning off the water, setting up my fake lights and radio, locking the doors and heading out. The idea I came up with was to find a cheap hotel somewhere close to the hotel and just take off from there early in the morning. No problem finding a hotel right next to the airport, the cheap part...... well, it is only for one night. So I am now safely stashed away in room #305 waiting for the morning to come. The one problem I see cropping up is that it was 80+ degrees here today.... short pants, t-shirt and sandals. Tomorrow I'll be headed for below freezing temps with snow and ice all around. And me forgetting my main coat and gloves. Duh!

No comments:

Post a Comment