Thursday, October 31, 2013

    Managed to weather the rain storm that came through the area last night. Lot's and lots of rain, lightning and thunder all night long. Not sure how much rain fell right here where I am, but it rained pretty good for most of the night. I know just a couple miles south of me they had more than 12 inches in that amount of time. Nowhere near that up here where I am, but I imagine there was a good 3-4 inches, if not more, that came down during the night.

    For me here at the trailer it meant hearing the sound of rain on the trailer roof for most of the night, as well as thunder off in the distance, and sometimes, if I was awake, the flash of lightning through the blinds over the windows. It also meant a couple of cups worth of rain water through the leak around the overhead roof vent. Not enough that my trusty 'upside down hanging umbrella trick' didn't contain it, but enough to know that there is still a problem that needs to be fixed before the whole roof framing starts to rot out on me.

    My problem with water last night though wasn't coming in through the molding around my roof vent. Instead, sometime early this morning, excess water pressure in my water hose hook up caused one of the hoses under the bed to burst and start spewing out a garden hose worth of water every second. What was really unfortunate for me is that there seems to be enough bedding on top of that area that I never heard it running and didn't realize any thing was amiss until one of my neighbors here in the campground came over and asked if I knew about all the water pouring out the bottom of my trailer. Oops!

    Quickly got it shut off and found the leak pretty much immediately. It was in a piece of clear tubing that runs from my water filter over to the distribution line that runs throughout the whole trailer. Lucky for me it was pretty evident, and it was in a spot that was at least somewhat accessible. The line had pretty much 'blown' out one whole side of it. But I was again lucky because it occurred in a spot where I could simply cut it out and connect the new end back up to the old fitting. Took a little bit of time and some rather unique gymnastic type skills to wiggle around under the bed cover. (The whole bed hinges up from the front edge, somewhat like some car trunks or hoods do). The water line connector is nothing more than a little hose clamp, but it was of course put on in such a position that you couldn't really get in there with a screw driver to loosen or tighten it up. Finally had to find my smallest box end wrench to do it all, but it was finally reconnected.

    Of course under the bed is where I store a lot of stuff that doesn't get used very often. Several spare sets of sheets and extra blankets of course, but they are all kept in waterproof boxes, so no real damage to them. There are also 3-4 travel bags of various sizes that get used anytime I need to fly or drive somewhere without the trailer. But they were also pretty protected. What took the brunt of the water was a couple of boxes and sacks of modeling stuff that I had stowed on the bottom level. So I had to pull all of that out of there, mop up any water that was still in there, the floor never looked cleaner, and then dry everything out before putting it all back in. I also set one of my fans in there for a couple of hours just to dry it out a little bit more. The last thing I need is to start growing my own mushrooms under the bed.

    Got it all back together after a couple of hours and finally located my water pressure limiting valve that should of gone on the hose yesterday when I hooked up. It is all back up and running again now, but it took so much time to do, that I really didn't have time left afterwards to go anywhere. Went over to the local Home Depot, just to get out of the trailer for a while, and wandered the aisles there for about an hour. There are so many new products to look at these days that it's hard to keep up on all of it once you don't deal with them on a day to day basis any more. I did however, buy a new roll of fiber reinforced tubing.... just to have in case something like this happens again.

    Tonight is Halloween... but no little Trick or Treaters here in the campground. Kind of miss some of the excitement and joy of the holiday, but never really got into the whole dressing up in costume thing. Certainly liked going to the parties however. Guess I'll just have to wait until this weekend dance for a little bit of that.

   Not sure what I'll do tomorrow now. May try and find a museum of some kind to go check out or I may just hang out around here for the day. Guess it will depend a lot on how 'antsy' I get by mid morning. Sometimes I just have to get out and explore something, even if it's on the spur of the moment. Right now though I think it's time to settle in for a movie.... Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Rush Hour. Hmmm!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment