Wednesday, January 14, 2015

     Many, many miles have passed beneath the tires of the truck since last time I posted. Early Monday morning the truck was packed up with all the stuff that was coming back south with me and I headed out on the highway once again. Snow, freezing rain and fog were my companions as the whir-r-r of the tires took me down off the heights of the Great Smokies. Down through the Piedmont region of N. Carolina and on into S. Carolina as the rain warmed up and finally died away to just fog. As night was falling it was into the salt marshes and swamps of northern Georgia where it was time to pull in for the night. $35 bucks can still get you a decent, though well used hotel room. But it was dry and warm and didn't appear to have bed bugs, so it was a good place to land and grab a few hours of sleep.
    Yesterday was just another long day of driving. Down through the rest of Georgia and on into Florida, the day continued to warm with every mile the truck went south. There was no real hurry to get back to the RV park where Esmerelda was waiting, but I did want to get there while there was still light out to hook everything back up and pull her over to a regular camping spot.
    I made it into the park a little bit after 4:00 and picked up all the paperwork at the front office. I had called ahead a couple of days earlier so they had everything waiting for me and my signature. Esmerelda was still parked in the empty field where she had been left a month ago. It took only minutes to hook up the batteries and turn the propane back on. Hooked up the main hitch and pulled her out of there and over to a standard camp spot. Only needed to hook up electric for the night, so it only took 15 minutes or so to set everything up and move back in.
    Other than needing a good airing out Esmerelda was in pretty good shape. There was a bit of mold in the fridge that was rather unexpected. It appears likely that all of the water from the melting ice that occurred when it defrosted the day I left, never completely dried out. But a few squirts from my bottle of Clorox and water cleaned it all right up. I spent the rest of the evening tucking stuff back in where it belonged and then reading some more of my latest book.
     I really slept last night.... it was well after 9:00 before I was finally up and going. Lucky for me there wasn't too far to go today, just a bit more than 120 miles in all. Got the trailer hooked up, dumped everything else someplace where it wouldn't flop around, and then hit the road once again.
   A very pleasant drive all in all, cloudy but still nice and warm. I was back to wearing shorts and a t-shirt and a pair of boat shoes so life was good. About 4 hours got me over to the town of Apopka Florida and the campground at Kelly Spring County Park. Once again a brief call ahead had all of my paperwork waiting for me and a short 5 minute check-in process had me back in the truck headed for my campsite.
    Got the trailer all set up this time and hooked up the water as well as the electric. Sewer waste will be taken care of at the end of the week at the dump station on my way out of the campground. Grabbed a bite to eat and finished up my book, and then headed out to the grocery store to pick up some supplies. Just finishing up checking up on everything while sitting at a Micky D's. A few more moments and I'm out of here.
     I up loaded this video from 'youtube' a few days ago. One of our friends, who prefers to remain anonymous made it after he/she noticed some discontinuities occurring at some of the local contra dances. It is a humorous way to look at some of the few problems that crop up at dances. There are others, but for the most part they all seem to be pretty harmless. So sit back and enjoy the cartoon.


Cool Hip Dancers







brk*

No comments:

Post a Comment