Monday, June 25, 2012

   To tired to write anything last night once I got home.... sorry about that. I'm blaming the great time I had contra dancing in Fort Collins, and Boulder, as well as a lack of sleep, for being to wiped out.  The contra dance in Boulder last evening was a lot of fun, geared more towards experienced dancers there was less walk through and a lot more dancing. The band, Avant Gardeners, also took the level up a notch in tempo and loudness and it was soon pretty hot and sweaty inside, despite the air conditioning. I also noticed that for the first time I was breathing a bit harder because of the altitude, prior to that, I was feeling pretty smug about it not having any effect on me, even after spending the last 9-10 months down around sea level. It does point out though that dancing often enough at a fast pace will keep you in pretty good shape, even if it doesn't make you lose any weight. (Must really work on that part from now on).

   Today was a lot of fun also. Started out with lunch at Racine's (again) with a dance friend. It is hard to ever grow tired of the food and the ambiance there, plus they have some of the best ice tea ever. Fun time catching up with my friend even though I have seen her several times since getting back to Colorado. This time we had a chance to actually sit and talk instead of just passing each other by in a contra dance line.

   Earlier this evening it was off to the movies for a 'Guy's Night Out'. A bit of an odd choice this time in that we all wanted to go and see the newest animated show from Pixar, 'Brave'. A good movie over all and certainly stellar technically, but I think all of us were a bit disappointed by the story line. We should of realized that the target audience was going to be 8-13 year old girls. But as I said, it was still an okay movie for us.

   Afterwards it was over to the Red Robin across the street for our usual veggie burger and salad. I haven't had one of those for a long, long time, so it tasted just fine to me. Lot's of people, mostly women it seems, ask why we always go there when there are so many other places we could go, and why do we almost always get the same thing when we do? But for us it's not about the food so much as it is about having a place where they actually know us and we can sit and talk boat trips or politics or where we are going on vacation with out having to deal with a lot of superfluous stuff like looking at a menu. Plus; where else could we go where the waitress, Emily, has our drink order on the table before we have even settled into the booth?

   Looks like there is likely to be a canoe trip to Montana sometime while I'm in the area. The unresolved question is whether it is going to be with 'The Boys', meaning the backpacking crew, or just my friend Tom and I. Doesn't really matter to me, but in a way it would be nice to be able to paddle with Tom again. He and I have pretty much had to be the stern person in our own boats since our late teens. It would be fun to see if we can still anticipate what the other one wants with out saying anything. So if it happens it will be sometime around the start of August, so I'm going to start looking at taking a trip out to Nebraska between now and then. Sort of a shake down trip before leaving again in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment