Tuesday, July 16, 2013

   Good day overall, even if there were a few glitches along the way. Headed north around 10:30 with the idea of going up to Longmont and getting some work done on the trailer. Along the way though I stopped off at my last place of employment, the Colorado Division of Wildlife, which is now the Colorado Department of Parks and Wildlife, or some such thing. The reason for the stop was to pick up one of the few people still there that I worked with. Peggy and I headed over to this Vietnamese restaurant over on N. Federal. More of a dive than a restaurant, it still has one of the best noodle bowls around, so we always seem to end up there for lunch.

    Had a good time hearing about all the new stuff going on there since the last time I talked with anyone. It is still scary to know that I could probably walk in, sit down and start right up where I left off. Seems like only some of the people and the politics have changed at all since my retirement. Boy am I ever glad I no longer work there. It was a wonderful place to work at, the projects were interesting, the people fun and the ability to be outdoors was perfect for someone like me. But there is still no doubt that I did the best thing for me that I could by retiring as soon as possible.

    We talked for better than an hour, had some wonderful soup and then parted company with the hope that we can meet up again, with maybe some of the others, at least once more before I leave town.

   On to Longmont from there, and the tire store where I had left the trailer tire and rim a few days ago to have the tire pulled off and remounted onto a new wheel rim that I had ordered. They had called on Friday to say it was all done and ready to go so I thought it would be a matter of walking in, flashing my paperwork, and walking out again with my new wheel. Guess it wasn't meant to be however, as they couldn't find anything of the tire or the wheel once there. It took about an hour to locate all the separate pieces, put them together and then hand them over. Could of got mad about it I guess, but to what end? I guess it is much easier to see the funny side of things once time doesn't mean the same thing to you that it once did.

   Off to the trailer then to install the new wheel. No problem getting it put on, even though it was scorching hot outside, and then getting the tire covers put on the south facing tires. Also picked out a few things that I was going to need from inside the trailer and threw them in the truck. Also packed a few other things away and took a look at what still needed to be done. It is coming together at this point, but it will still take a little more time at some point.

    From the trailer it was on to the storage unit where I put a couple boxes in and then took a whole bunch of stuff out. Found my tent and sleeping gear as well as some gear for the boat and then a couple of coolers that will be needed for our food. Will have to check my list to see what else is still needed, but it was a good start on what I am going to need.

   Made dinner for us all this evening when I got back into the Denver area. I had brought down some frozen halibut fillets when I cleaned out the fridge and freezer a couple weeks ago, so Marge had thawed out a few of them for this evening. Just did a simple pan sauté for them tonight and built a little pan sauce with the bits left in the pan, along with some shallot, capers and brown mustard. Two of the three fillets came out okay, but the third one wasn't very good at all.... that was of course mine, and I can be honest about the taste. The sauce was okay, but not great either, where as, the steamed broccoli was fine as was some leftover pasta salad from this past weekend.

   Just going to hang out for most of the day tomorrow. Need to do some laundry again and may even have some time to deal with some photo's again. For now though.... it is time for bed.








No comments:

Post a Comment