Sunday, July 7, 2013

July 7, 2013

    Woke up around 5:00 this morning to thunder and lightning going off right above the trailer, or so it seemed. What wasn't imagined was how the whole trailer lit up ever time the lightning went across the sky. It was marvelous to lay back in bed, once all the skylights were closed of course, and listen and watch as the storm passed over me and headed on east. Only had about 10 minutes of actual rain out of it, a pretty good downpour, but it was enough to cool things down even more and make for a pleasant couple hours of wakeful dozing as I wondered when I should actually get myself up.

    Finally up and about around 8:00 and had a good breakfast and shower. Spent some time reading the comics of course, as well as doing the daily crossword. My nephew called around 11:30 and invited me out to lunch with them and one of his wife's sisters. The plan was to go eat Mexican food at a little place they knew of,  so how could I say no to that. And pretty good food it was too, a plate full of enchilada's, tostada and taco as well as rice and beans. It tasted really yummy to someone who has been suffering through Mexican food withdrawal since I left Colorado a couple of months ago. Not withstanding the few meals I've had since then along the way.... but they haven't been enough.

    Took a drive out to Lake Minatare State Park after lunch in order to check out the lighthouse that is out there. Not really a true lighthouse, as it never had an actual light, nor was it operated by the lighthouse society or the Coast Guard, it does still look very much like one though and maybe looks even better than some of the ones I have seen. Photo's will follow of course. Found out that it was built during the depression sometime between 1937 and 1939 by the 'Veterans Conservation Corp, or VCC to serve as a shelter house and observation tower and to give a few unemployed people something to do to make money. It stands on top of a peninsula of land that jut's out into the lake and is 55 feet higher than the surrounding ground, so it would of actually made a very good lighthouse.

    My nephew had gone along with me on the drive so that he could show me the way, as well as give me a tour of the lake, but I ended up dropping him off later at a birthday celebration for one of his new nieces. I on the other hand went and took in a movie this afternoon. Partly because I wanted to see something new, and partly because it was way to hot out to go back to the trailer and sit. Much better to be inside where there was air conditioning. With that in mind I went and saw the movie 'White House Down' starring Channing Tatum and Jamie Fox. Actually for the genre, Guy's Night Out Movie', it was really pretty decent. The plot was okay, not to many holes in it, the acting was good and the special effects were superb. Lots of gratuitous violence of course, but hey, it's a GNOM, what do you expect.

   Went on back to the trailer after that and opened it up and got it cooled off a little bit. It works pretty well just using the two portable table size fans I have to blow all the hot air out the doors while sucking in cooler air through the windows and roof vents. I also have a good sized DC powered vent fan in the forward roof vent that I can turn on and it sucks the air from inside and pushes it up and out the roof over the bed. So after about 5 minutes or less it was comfortable enough to stay inside and get some work done. Spent a bit of time packing up some more stuff into boxes I'll take and put into storage once I'm back in Colorado tomorrow. Still more stuff to pack away, but I actually ran out of room to store the boxes, so the rest will have to wait.

    Will be packing up and heading out early tomorrow morning. With any luck I'll be back in Longmont Colorado by late afternoon and have Esmerelda tucked away in her storage spot out at the old sugar beet factory. Will need to empty the rest of the fridge out in the morning, there isn't a whole lot left there, and then turn it and everything else off including the propane and the batteries. Not sure yet how long it will be before I take her back out again, as I may head for the high country for a bit and do some fishing if I can find the time. Other wise I'll be staying with some friends for a couple of weeks and seeing a lot of others. Hope to do some folk dancing and contra dancing, do some paddling and some sailing and maybe even a hike or two. Right now pretty much everything sounds kind of fun to me. There will be time later on to get the truck fully serviced and the trailer all put back together. Mid September seems like a long way away at the moment, but I know it will likely sneak up on me before I have everything done that I want to do. But then most of life is like that anyway.









No comments:

Post a Comment