Friday, July 26, 2013

    Maybe a little more interesting day today.... at least for me anyway. Planned yesterday to head up to Longmont today in order to pick up a few things at the trailer that I would be needing, pick up mail, if any, and take a few things over to the old storage unit and put them away. All of that did indeed happen today, but not before first stopping by my friends, Maggie and Paul's, place to check out some remodeling work they were doing to their kitchen. They had asked me to take a look at a structural issue they had going on with it a couple weeks ago, and I gave them a couple of options they might think about doing in order to achieve what they wanted to do. Today they were ready to install a couple micro-lam beams along an interior bearing wall in order to take out a short section of it in order to open up the view from inside the kitchen. I arrived just in time to help hoist, and nail them in place. Looks like they may just do the job, which is always a relief to me and is always much better than the alternative, which is to have part of the structure fail and fall down.

    We got the beams nailed up enough to hold them in place and then went over to a local restaurant for some lunch. It is always fun to have time to sit and talk to them and catch up on what they have been doing. They all wanted Mexican food for lunch, and who am I to argue, so we headed over to Luna's where they have this wonderful tamale plate special for lunch.

   Headed north after lunch and got up to the trailer just as it was starting to rain a little bit. Kind of nice to actually be there when it wasn't so hot that you start to sweat as soon as you get out of the truck. Packed a few more items away and picked up some books and a few clothes that I'll be needing in the next couple of days.

   On to my mailbox place after that to see what mail had arrived since the last time I was up there. Not much actually, and of all the stuff that did show up, only one piece wasn't what would be considered junk mail. It was nice to get an update on some IRA's I have, and note that they are at least holding steady these days instead of shedding money like crazy. With any luck there may actually be something left when I become eligible to start taking it out in a few years.

   A quick trip to my storage unit then to drop off a few items and then, since I was running ahead of time, I went over to the Camping World store to see if there was anything there that I really needed or wanted. As it turns out there was way to many things in both categories. By the time it was all totaled up I was the proud owner of a new plastic shroud for my propane tanks, a new 25', non-kink hose, a new knob for one of my windows, a plastic chopping block that fits over the sink and a cap for the end of my new bumper. Way more money than I wanted to spend, but all things that I actually need.

    Caught a quick bite to eat and then headed for Washington Park to see if anyone was going to be there folk dancing tonight. Turns out that there was a pretty good turnout this evening. It was a beautiful summer night and the sunset over the lake there at the park was wonderful. Took a few pictures while some of the easier, line dance kind of dances were being done. Put the camera away after the sun went down though and danced quite a few dances. There are now a lot of new dances being done that I have never seen or danced before, but there are still enough of the old ones that people ask for that my feet still know how to do, even if my mind doesn't quite remember all of the steps.

    Tired now though, so I think I'll read a couple of chapters in my book and then hit the rack. Looking forward to another day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment