Friday, July 12, 2013

July 12, 2013

   Can't believe I forgot to mention folk dancing last night in the park in my post yesterday. I've only been going there since I was 14 years old, and I credit dancing there every summer for the last 41-42 years, with starting me on my lifelong love of dancing. Really good to see old friends there again, several of them had been part of the original 8-10 people who were there at the very first dance with me. Unfortunately the founder, Sugar, wasn't there as he had sprained an ankle this week and was still taking it easy. Hope to see him and his wife, Bettina, before the end of the summer though.

    So today was really just a delight. A nice easy morning reading the paper and having a simple breakfast here at the house with my friends. I had to go to the grocery store early on to pick up stuff for the potluck dish I am taking tomorrow to the family reunion. That party will be over in Observatory Park near DU, Denver University, and the area where I grew up in. Decided on making a nice simple pasta salad that I had seen made on the TV show 'America's Test Kitchen' one day long ago. It seemed like a nice thing to take, and that pretty much goes with everything else. Went and did the grocery shopping this morning and then brought all the stuff home and set it aside for a bit while George, Marge and I went over to a nice little restaurant at Centennial Airport and had a very nice lunch there. They do really good food there at a really acceptable price, plus you get to sit and watch all these private jets and other planes taking off and landing while you are eating. I had a simple Mushroom/Swiss burger for my meal, but they make them by hand out of ground sirloin there and then they will even cook them medium rare if you want. It was really quite yummy!

    Made my pasta salad dish this afternoon after coming home from our lunch. Figured it would be better than standing there sampling it all the while I was making it. Turned out to be the right thing to do as it turned out really well and I know I would of eaten at least half of it if I hadn't already been full.

    Read my book for a little while this afternoon but found that I kept dozing off, so I ended up taking a little nap before dinner. Went over to the local contra dance here in Denver this evening. I was good to be up and moving again to live music. It was a nice crowd and the music and caller were good enough to make the evening a success. Certainly not as good as a weekend long dance, but more than adequate after going without any dancing at all for more than a month. Lucky for me there will be a 'Zesty' contra in Denver tomorrow evening also. This is a once a month dance here in the area that is geared for more advanced dancers. The caller and band tomorrow should be up to the task of putting on a good dance, so I am really looking forward to that also.

    Our family reunion kicks off tomorrow at noon over at Observatory Park in Denver. There will be the pot luck at noonish and time to just sit and talk and have fun. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of my cousins that I haven't seen in a long, long time as well as some of their kids whom I have never met before. Looking forward to having a good time with then throughout the afternoon and early evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment