Friday, July 13, 2012

    Sorry for the delay in posting this, tried to do it last night out at the campground, but the signal out there was so slow that it was impossible to get it to zoom out onto the web. There wasn't all that much going on anyway, so no real big deal.

   Spent today on another road trip. There is something about seeing new country that is just enjoyable to me. Went south and west out of Chadron down through Alliance again and then up through Harrison and back to Crawford and the little bitty town of Whitney. Lot's of turkeys along nearly every stream or river and in the evening, plenty of deer too.

   Had another play to go to this evening out at Fort Robinson, tonight's entertainment was 'Godspell', not one of my favorite plays, way to much reference to religion for me, but the music was good and the acting superb. Of course there is always the one song, 'Day by Day', that is worth the price of admission alone. Noticed one actress last night who looked very much like a young version of Gilda Radnor, even had many of the same facial expressions. She also had a wonderful voice, but sounded more like Janis Joplan. Some people just have all the luck.

   Have set in motion the means to get my truck, trailer and drivers license changed over to the state of Nebraska. Really don't want to do it, but Colorado has made it impossible for me to keep it all there. The trouble is that the truck plates come due in December and require a smog certificate every other year, and the trailer is due in January. In practical terms what this means is that I need to be in Colorado every year at Christmas just to re-register everything, pick up my tags and keep everything legal. I got away with it last year by doing it all on line, but even then the DMV screwed up, twice, and sent my new tags to my old address. It took several weeks and some intervention from a good friend to get them sent to my sisters place in Florida so I could pick them up. So.... time to move here where my tags will be due in the summertime when I'll be in the area anyway. As an added bonus it will mean being able to get a Nebraska in-state fishing and hunting licenses next year, something I get nearly every year any way, but now it'll be cheaper. My nephew is excited because I'll be able to put in for a 'once in a lifetime' bull elk tag then. Knowing him he'll have one already picked out for me.

  An interesting development today. For those who have done a blog before, you would know that you get a bit of feed back from some blog sites, in my case Google does the tracking for me. Now before you all freak out about big brother checking up on you and passing the info on to me, rest assured that I don't get to see any personnel info on any of you. What I do get is a graph that shows how many people have checked into my site and at what time of the day, (by the way, there are a lot of night owls out there), as well as a cute little map that shows what country a non specific "hit" was from. So as of today there have been people from 11 other countries that have looked at my blog. The latest ones were from Pakistan and Latvia. Granted, most of these people probable stumbled on the site by accident, but it seems that there are at least a couple people in Russia, England  and Germany who check in fairly often. In fact for this week so far there have been more hits from Russia than from the U.S. (So what's the matter with you people here in the U.S., have you no pride?) ;-)    One other interesting note is that there were a lot of hits from China the first month the site was up and running but since then there have been none. Not sure what that means, I find it hard to believe that in a country of that size, no one has stumbled onto my blog by accident.... maybe I've been put on some secrete list of banned sites. That would be pretty cool.

   Here are  a couple of pictures from my travels over the last couple of days.

A view of the front of the Post Playhouse out at Fort Robinson near Crawford, Nebraska. Such a funky little place, it amazes me how good their productions are. The stage craft is always fun, the acting superb and the music and singing top notch. All for a very nominal price. ($12-$18 per ticket)
Saw this old horse drawn hay baler on top of a hill while driving down the road yesterday. For some reason the shape and shadows of it made me think that some ancient grass eating beast had come to life. I half expected some little robot droid to come up and herd it into the barn to be milked.
Here we have 'Car Henge'. Have never seen the real Stone Henge but expect it is a bit more ethereal. Somehow I can't picture naked Druids cavorting around this place during the summer solstice.

    Finally; a quote I saw in an article someone had posted on Facebook:

   Being Wealthy: "Having the freedom to maximize one's life experiences". I think that about sums up my life at the moment. Never thought of myself as being rich, but have been very thankful that my retirement has been good enough to allow me to travel like I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment